View Full Version : Sunset over Badlands

Kent Wilson
09-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Canon 40D,70-200 f/4 lens
1/3000, f/11.
exp Comp -1
8 images stitched.

I'm just starting to try doing panos.

Thanks for looking; comments appreciated.

kent

Robert Amoruso
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Kent,

Stitching looks good. Even though the image has no center of interest you used the patterns of the hills as they approach the BG very well. The undulating hills are almost hypnotic as you scan the image. Very well done.

I felt a more crop was needed. At the bottom you had a few tips of hills protruding into the image. I crop there to eliminate that. At the top, I took off enough to get a Rule of Thirds for the horizontals. I am less concerned with the top - that could stay as is but the bottom cropping strengthens the image IMO. Thank for posting.

Kent Wilson
10-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks, Robert. Definitely an improvement over my original. Much appreciated.
kent

David Kennedy
10-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Kent,
My concern with this image is that it is simply too yellow for my taste, and that yellow just doesn't feel "real" to me. I would consider changing the white balance on the image to bring the color temperature down and see how that affects the image--to see if it suddenly feels like an image captured on Earth, as opposed to Mars :)

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Kent,

Did not really notice the strong cast on my new laptop yesterday (using it for the first time so I definitely need to color correct it). I repost a moderate color correction to the image. I used the same method I describe in Artie's post one up from yours.

Kent Wilson
10-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks David and Robert (again). It seems my monitor needs re-calibrating also.

Robert Amoruso
10-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Kent,

Even my repost still looks off. Best to work this with the original TIFF. You could also look at a different white balance setting during conversion. Starting off with a color cast in the conversion just makes it harder to deal with in post-processing.

Kent Wilson
10-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi David and Robert --

Does this version look better? Thanks for your input; it's much appreciated.