PDA

View Full Version : Partly or fully switch?

Gyorgy Szimuly
12-30-2007, 03:06 PM
One of my purchase plan for '08 is to partly switch to NIKON. The reason is mainly to start shooting landscapes with the new top quality 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S NIKKOR lens. As I still don't own any full frame body I decided to buy the D3 for this lens. I also want to use this body for action shots with the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR and the 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR NIKKOR.

I think the time has not came to use the 600 mm for still or distant birds with the current NIKON pro bodies so I stay with Canon as the reach is much better with Canon (1D Mk3). It is too bad NIKON doesn't produce 2xTC. I wouldn't hesitate to make a complete switch if it would be available.

What do you think of it?

Szimi

Alfred Forns
12-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Szimi with the D300 and its 1.5X crop factor is not bad

I have been using only the 200-400 since the 600 is not available About the only place I was needing reach was in Bosque

Originally I was thinking on the same line as you are but having a back up body is important so I went all Nikon

btw the D300 is very capable Might want to look into it !!!

Gyorgy Szimuly
12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Szimi with the D300 and its 1.5X crop factor is not bad

I have been using only the 200-400 since the 600 is not available About the only place I was needing reach was in Bosque

Well, there is a huge difference in the shooting possibilities in Florida and in Europe. In Florida you are happy as birds are so close even without being camouflaged or hided, while in the most of part of Europe the situation is much worst. So we do need reach. But worth to think it over once again as I have never been using 2xTC (just haven't buy yet) only the 1.4x. It means (if I am correct) with the current body (1D Mark IIN) I would have 1092 mm focal length with 1.4xTC and 1.3x crop factor while with eg. D3 with 1.7xTC and zero crop factor it is 1020. So doesn't loose to much. Of course with the D300 it would be a huge improvement with the reach (1530 mm) + 4 megapixel more to the current body. ;)

Originally I was thinking on the same line as you are but having a back up body is important so I went all Nikon

btw the D300 is very capable Might want to look into it !!!

True, as currently I have any back up solution. I think I will search the web for images taken by D300. The question is: Is it worth to wait for the upgrade of the D300?

Szimi

George DeCamp
12-31-2007, 06:20 AM
I think the time has not came to use the 600 mm for still or distant birds with the current NIKON pro bodies so I stay with Canon as the reach is much better with Canon (1D Mk3). It is too bad NIKON doesn't produce 2xTC. I wouldn't hesitate to make a complete switch if it would be available.
Szimi

Just a couple points;

1. Nikon does make a x2. Not the best is an understatement but in good light it works ok (I have it and have used it when needed), probably will work a little bit better with VR in the long glass.

2. The 500 & 600mm VR lenses will ship in January. Couple a 600vr with a D300 and you get better reach than the Mk3 and a 600 (1.5 crop vs 1.3 on the Mk3).

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything here as both systems have positives and negatives.

Good news is no matter which system you choose you can create awesome images! :)

Maxis Gamez
12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Good luck! :)

James Shadle
01-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Gyorgy,
You can't slave for two masters!
James

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Would you guys, comment on the reach experience with the full frame body used for bird photography? Have you ever had the feeling that the reach was not enough using full frame sensored body? I really would like to decide what I spend my money for. My target is to work with 600mm lens of any brand.
Szimi

Hillebrand Breuker
01-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi Gyorgy

I have been to Hungary twice and know that you can make excellent images with any camera and a good telelens over there. I have been shooting with a 30D and 500/4 IS with 1.4 tc and had great results. I have seen lots of your images and most of them are excellent. You made them with your current equipment. I just do not understand why you would want another camera. Either Nikon and Canon make excellent bodies. If you purchase a 1DsMKII you could use a converter to attach the 14-24 Nikon lens, use the hyperfocal scale and live happilly ever after.

Cheers

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, I was also asked that question from myself. Then on the field I got some answer. I had to give up many chances due to the low light conditions. It means that my main concern is to have a body with far better ISO performances. The recently released or to be released bodies work fine at high ISO settings. Another issue is my expansion of interest in photography. I want to go for landscape photography and I don't want to change the lens all the time. Since NIKON produces the best wide lens in the market it has no sense for me to use it on a Canon body. :)

I am however not sure in using two different brands as the handling is for sure different.

Szimi

James Prudente
01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Gyorgy,

Check this link out for the new Nikon - EOS adapter.

http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/

Jim

Johnny Bravo
01-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Would you guys, comment on the reach experience with the full frame body used for bird photography? Have you ever had the feeling that the reach was not enough using full frame sensored body? I really would like to decide what I spend my money for. My target is to work with 600mm lens of any brand.
Szimi

I just spent my first weekend shooting the 1DS--I have to say I don't miss the crop factor in the least. I shot 10/20/30D's for years, have a 40D and a MIII---the only practical difference is that with the 40D I find the finder much dimmer and more like looking down a straw.

That said, I'm buying the 800 as soon as it's available as I love reach--but I'd be doiing that even if I hadn't picked up a full frame camera.

Jim Caldwell
01-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Sounds like the dark-side is beckoning.....!

Walt Anderson
01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
James, I think you have it backwards. I'm the master, the cameras are the slaves!

Walt Anderson