PDA

View Full Version : Turnstone

Rich Steel
01-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi

We just call them Turnstone here in the UK. Its a bird I often walk straight past, looking for other species, as they are so numerous on my local beach in the winter. However, this one was 'glowing' in the brief moment of sun at lunchtime today so I couldn't resist.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/turnst6.jpg

Taken with my 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO400 and F5. This will be the last shot off my Mk3 for the next few days as it is being collected tomorrow for its sub-mirror fix.

Cheers

Rich

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Pose, details and whites look good. I find the BG too dark, maybe a bit S/H.

Rich Steel
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks Axel. The background is dark because its estuary mud which is very messy stuff but the birds love it.

Cheers

Rich

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks Axel. The background is dark because its estuary mud which is very messy stuff but the birds love it.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks for the explanation, Rich. It could be a matter of preference, I think I would brighten the image a bit. Who knows, maybe I need a new monitor. :) BTW, I think it needs a bit CCW rotation, not much though. I hope you don't mind, just to illustrate, I raised the highlights by 30 points, which looks better on my monitor. I didn't apply any NR and it is a bit noisy now. I'm really interested what other people think.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-14-2008, 07:23 PM
The original post works well for me with regards to exposure of the bird + BG . The re-post lost the contrast.
(may be its personal taste).

You can feel the bird's motion looking at the left leg splashing the water backwards....

Nice, sharp image.

regards,
Kaushik

Del Cockroft
01-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Super exposure. The BG is a little dark but the bird itself is spot on. Not sure about the re-post.