PDA

View Full Version : Polars bears on caribou

Ivan Rothman
01-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Churchill, Canada.
Very unusual chance to photograph polar bears on caribou kill. Caribou had apparently gotten down to the waters edge and somehow got caught in the ice by the bears.
Nikon D2x, 200-400mm f4 lens at 330mm, f5.6, 1/1000, ISO 800

Thonnaksar NOP
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Stunning picture !
You've captured a very special moment of these guys sharing a very nice meal. Love the timing and framing very much.
Thanks for sharing.

Arjan van der Stelt
01-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Amazing to see this animals in the wild i think, you did a good job capturing these animals I should crop something from the top so there will be no water and only snow/ice in this picture.....

Great moment and thanks for sharing.....

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi Ivan,

Are you the Ivan we were with in Newfoundland? If so, hi again :D

Great action, I heard of this incident... and agree on taking the water off since it doesn't add to the image.

I need to get there sometime :)

Ivan Rothman
01-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi Fabs,
Yes, I was in Newfoundland with you. I was travelling with Chas in Churchill so he has many similar images which you must have heard about.
Nobody in Churchill had previously seen this kind of thing. The caribou don't go down to the water and ice and are not usual prey for the bears. That's what made this such a unique set of photographs.
I thought about cropping the image, but I wanted to leave in the water in the background because it tells the story of where and how this kill happened. The ice was very soft, the bears kept falling through. That is probably the explanation for how the caribou got stuck and became prey for the bears.
Ivan

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks, Ivan.

We saw Chas in Bosque and he told us about this unique incident.

Big welcome to BPN, hope to see you in the field sometime again :)

D. Robert Franz
01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Amazing natural history moment well documented. Congrats...

DanWalters
01-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Very dramatic image.

Jasper Doest
01-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Personally I'd crop off the water on top to make this work....very dramatic action recorded....a unique moment. Thanks for sharing!