PDA

View Full Version : Longs Peak in Blue

Judd Patterson
09-28-2008, 12:52 PM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/longs_in_blue.jpg
Canon 5D, 17-40mm
30s, f/8, ISO 160

This is Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. I waited late to bring out those dusk blues. I was the last person to leave the parking lot that night and picked up four hikers at the Glacier Gorge trailhead who had missed the last shuttle down to their parked car. They were quite happy to avoid several miles of hiking in a sleetstorm that was moving through! :)

Kaushik Balakumar
09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
A lovely image Judd. Nice move to have waited for the dusk to set in. The blues look awesome.

Julie Kenward
09-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Judd, that's the first time I've seen Bear Lake in over ten years...thanks so much for the beautiful memory!

Phenomenal lighting - this is a great example of what waiting for the light is all about. The composition is also fantastic. If I had to find one thing I wish was done differently it would be that I could see a bit more detail in the dark treeline on the right side but the way it is presented is so perfect I don't even like mentioning it. Really a superior piece of work.

Roman Kurywczak
09-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Hey Judd,
I like the tones in this very much. Been there myself a few imes but never that late. Composed very well and you were also pretty fortunate to get a calm reflection on the lake late in the pm.......as thermals tend to kick up.
I can also relate to the hikers missing the shuttle........been there, done that! I was also greatful for the ride.

Robert Amoruso
09-29-2008, 06:47 AM
I echo the previous comments on comp and the overall mode with the blue cast. Well done. I tried a Shadows/Highlights correction on the shadows and opened them up. Does give it a different look but up to you which you prefer. As presented works extremely well.

Paul Marcellini
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Love those blues. I would always stay after sunset and get some shots like this out in the glades last summer. The mosquitoes have been so bad I had forgotten to stick around. Thanks for reminding me. This is beautiful as presented but I also wonder about a touch more detail in the trees.

Lance Warley
10-14-2008, 08:15 AM
This is my favorite shot of yours, bar none, Judd. That is, until the next one.

Did you do anything special in the processing to bring out the blues?

Remarkable.