Canon 40D
Sigma 50 - 500

161mm
1/800
F9
ISO 400
exposure -0.33
metering mode: partial

This praying mantis abandoned her camouflage in search of her meal. If she had been a few hours earlier or later, she would have found a banquet here since these blossoms draw a large number of bees and other insects in the morning and evening.

I would appreciate hearing your opinions...
Thank you for taking the time!

I did get the whole large blossom in the orig, but wasn't sure how much of it to include in the image. And I'm nor sure if I darkened the bg too much.

no flash, but waited for the right timing with the clouds vs sunlight.

Gus Cobos
09-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Nicely done Cheryl,
I like the composition, my only suggestion would be to clean up the burnt edges on the flower, and the black blemish spot on the lower portion of the body. also the white spot on the leaf on the lower right hand side...good show...:cool:

Harold Davis
09-27-2008, 10:28 AM
fantastic detail in the mantis!! really like the compo, but may shave a little more off the top. also, it looks as if you may not have left enough room on the right to include the virtual end of the mantis.

i'm really impressed with the detail!! way to go Bigma!!

Cheryl Flory
09-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Thank you, Harold. And I love the Bigma.... but it certainly has its limitations!! was just out using it trying to get a spider. now that was extremely frustrating!! Aren't you the person who discussed its focusing???? I see what you meant!

Harold Davis
09-27-2008, 11:04 AM
yeah, it was me. i dont have any extension tubes, but am seriouly considering buying a set. should cut down the minimum focal distance!! be able to move in close and get some REAL good detail!!

Nonda Surratt
09-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Super detail..Agree with Mr H on the crop and bottom.

Alfred Forns
09-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Great suggestions Another vote for the crop btw great detail on the mantis Sure you got lots more !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
09-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Excellent details on the mantis. Yet another vote for the crop.
Congrats,

Cheryl Flory
09-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the input! I appreciate it.