PDA

View Full Version : The King

Chris van Rooyen
01-14-2008, 03:27 PM
The lions of the Kalahari semi-desert in southern Africa are particularly majestic animals - perhaps the stark surroundings adds further to their presence. This male suddenly appeared over a grassy dune and struck a regal pose. I particularly liked the way in which the wind played with his mane, adding further to his majestic presence.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Date/Time: 2005:03:13 15:12:31
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 500mm
Focal length: 1000mm

ajay
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
I love it. A little more of the sky would add even more to the "Lion King" persona. How did you get this low??
Ajay

Dean Ingwersen
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
G'day Chris,

What an amazing image. I love the wind in the mane, and the pose and 'look' of the lion. I only have one criticism...I think there is a little too much foreground in the shot. I don't know if it's possible, but a crop with a little more sky and a little less grass would make it more pleasing to me - I think this would make his 'gaze off into the distance' a little stronger. Just my opinion though...he's certainly one serious dude not to be messed with. Great work.

Arjan van der Stelt
01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Great image good pose and colors, personally I should crop something from the bottom so there will be less foreground but overall great image and thanks for sharing......

Glenn Wheeler
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
That is one great capture. My wife was walking by as I was looking at it and her response was "Majestic".

I love the wind in the mane and the positioning of the lion. I see what others are saying about the foreground, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Overall a very powerful image - well done.

Glenn Wheeler
http://www.glennwheeler.com
http://www.photoroadtrips.com

Ivan Rothman
01-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Striking image!
My only suggestion would have been to angle the camera up to include more sky and less foreground.
Ivan

Chris van Rooyen
01-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, makes sense:). I will crop and repost.

D. Robert Franz
01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Striking image for sure. I'm going to go against the grain here and complement you for this framing. I think the high in the frame placement gives the lion the deserved perception of strength. Your placement at a power point reinforces that as well. I like how the lion is looking into the frame. Well done....

DanWalters
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Nice image. Like the comp and the wind blowing the mane. Maybe a little more off the bottom and more sky.

Geurt Bloem
01-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I like this composition a lot Chris. A very well done for me.

Jacqui Hendry
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Classic......................

Composition is perfect

Dave Courtenay
01-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Thats a cracker-the title says it all-love it as is-the wind in the mane makes it

Jasper Doest
01-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Very well thought composition.... I really like the amount of foreground here....and you can nearly feel the wind in this photograph. It is not often that I like lion photographs (since they often lack creativity....), but this one is an exception....very well done!