EOS 1DsMKIII
MP 65E at close to 1X with Ring flash -1 EC

ISO = 640
Shutter Speed = 1/125 second
Aperture = f8

Gus Cobos
09-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Excellent composition Michael,
I like the depth of field and the contrasting colors. The title tells the story...congrats...:cool:

Michael Lloyd
09-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Gus.

I have one more from the series that I like almost as much as this one. Once the time limit is up I'll post it.

Julie Kenward
09-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Michael, personally, I would have liked to have seen more sharpness in the sand that is inside the shell as opposed to the sand on the lefthand side. It's a neat image and well composed but I think you missed the focal point by just a little bit.

Michael Lloyd
09-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Julie, with a different lens I might have been able to do that but had I focused on the sand inside the shell that's about all that would have been in focus. DOF with the MP65E is razor sharp. It's not a very forgiving lens

Robert O'Toole
09-28-2008, 09:27 PM
...... the MP65E is razor sharp. It's not a very forgiving lens

True, the MPE65 is such a specialized lens. Its good at what it was designed for, that is high magnification, but its not exactly friendly in the field.

I found in the past that even lighting the subject was hard as the working distances were so short the lens would sometimes block the flash!!

My normal system is 50, 150, and 180 Macros. I stack the 50 with teleconverters I can get 4 - 10X with ok working distance.

Oh and I like the image. It has a nice feeling with the flowing sand and old shell.

Robert

Michael Lloyd
09-29-2008, 08:59 AM
True, the MPE65 is such a specialized lens. Its good at what it was designed for, that is high magnification, but its not exactly friendly in the field.

I found in the past that even lighting the subject was hard as the working distances were so short the lens would sometimes block the flash!!

My normal system is 50, 150, and 180 Macros. I stack the 50 with teleconverters I can get 4 - 10X with ok working distance.

Oh and I like the image. It has a nice feeling with the flowing sand and old shell.

Robert

The other day I told someone that I thought Satan invented the MP65E. I don't have a rail system so just about everything is shot hand held (with the MP65E). I'm learning to be steady if nothing else :D I like my 180 macro. A lot. The 100 is pretty good too but is doesn't get out much since the addition of the 180. The ring flash somewhat prevents shadows with teh MP65E but it does nothing for bumping into things :)

You're getting 10X out of your setup? Wow... How is the DOF?

Robert O'Toole
09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
The other day I told someone that I thought Satan invented the MP65E. I don't have a rail system so just about everything is shot hand held (with the MP65E). I'm learning to be steady if nothing else :D I like my 180 macro. A lot. The 100 is pretty good too but is doesn't get out much since the addition of the 180. The ring flash somewhat prevents shadows with teh MP65E but it does nothing for bumping into things :)

You're getting 10X out of your setup? Wow... How is the DOF?

Yes I prefer the 180 also. I really like the extra reach and nice BG.

At 10X DOF is about 1/10th of a mm. No really even at F16 is razor thin and you have to use flash. And stopping down hurts details due to diffraction. F8 seems to be the sweet spot but you need all the DOF you can get.

The hardest thing sometimes is finding the subject! That can be really tough, even in a studio set up.

Robert