PDA

View Full Version : Monhegan Island, Maine

Arthur Morris
09-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Anybody been there? I will be spending the week before the Portland Seminar on the island. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Michael Pancier
09-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Artie, how long you staying after the Seminar? I'm going to be up there 10/16 for a few days .. couldn't make the seminar due the dates ...

Arthur Morris
10-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey Micheal, Kristen Westlake, Chris Dodds, and I will trying to find some fall color on the MON-WED after the seminar. I need to be in Newport, RI for a program on the afternoon of the 16th. Good luck!

Michael Pancier
10-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Hey Micheal, Kristen Westlake, Chris Dodds, and I will trying to find some fall color on the MON-WED after the seminar. I need to be in Newport, RI for a program on the afternoon of the 16th. Good luck!

Artie, my friend and photographer Mike Jones (http://flickr.com/photos/mikejonesphoto/sets/72157594386003970/detail/) who knows that area well says the best place for foilage is the White Mountains area of New Hampshire around the Kangamangus Highway. It's about 2 1/2 hour drive from Portland, ME.

When you and I are there it could be at or just after peak. Never know with the weather conditions.

john crookes
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Peak Conditions are going to be a bit early in the mountains this year due to some frost at nights.

This weekend for the white and green mountains
The coastline will be the last to reach peak so you may be better off going to acadia or staying right on Mohegan

Newport is where I grew up Artie and I am about an hour and 1/2 away from there now
If you need some places around the island give me a shout

John

Grady Weed
10-01-2008, 05:54 PM
If it were me Art, and I do live here, I would not drive the Kangamangus Highway. It is 30+ miles long, 2 lanes with very few places to really pull off, and it is the most heavily driven road in the NE for leaf peppers, unless you want to hike the falls all along the highway. Then you need to be prepared for long hikes, very wet trails and some high drop rates as we have had heavy rains for the last few days. I just returned from that area. Go here for a complete foliage report from the Maine state site: http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/ .

I live in Kezar Falls on Route 25 just 10 minutes from the NH border and just below Fryeburg. The coast will not be peak for 1 week. I would drive the loop from Lovell Maine to Bethel, then to Newry, and photograph the Artist Covered Bridge, go here http://maine.gov/mdot/covered-bridges/artists.php , then drive back down to Gilead and then to Chatham. While you are up there, you can go drive Pinkham and Crawford notch in NH nearby. The whole area is peak right now.

I would love to go to your seminar, but I am leading one for the wolf sanctuary on Saturday and looking and photographing leaves myself. From Portland the drive is about 1 1/2 hours to the starting point, by the way. Just Goggle the map for Lovell, Bethel and Newry. You do not have many roads for choices to drive and their are many places with views. But hurry the leaves will not last long past the weekend.

I hope Monhegan and the Portland seminar goes well for you!

Arthur Morris
10-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Peak Conditions are going to be a bit early in the mountains this year due to some frost at nights. This weekend for the white and green mountains The coastline will be the last to reach peak so you may be better off going to acadia or staying right on Mohegan. Newport is where I grew up Artie and I am about an hour and 1/2 away from there now. If you need some places around the island give me a shout. John

Let me get this straight, you live near Newport, RI now and know some spots on Monhegan; is that correct. If yes, shoot me a phone number where I can reach you tomorrow late afternoon on our drive up to Fort Clyde. You can e-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net

Thanks, and thanks Grady for the suggestions.