PDA

View Full Version : One more Spoonie - This one surprised me.

Bob Blanchard
09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok gang, This one is from that series I captured out at Ding Darling 2 weeks ago. I kept what I thought were the best 5 of the bunch, and this was the one that "barely" made the cut for me. I didn't think the head angle was right, and there were no water drops in this one. It did, however, have this wonderful raised foot. So I do my normal bit and put them up for sale on stock, and this one is literally on fire. It is selling like crazy, and reviews are pouring in on it. The others (including the ones I posted here a couple weeks ago) are just seeing average sales and activity. It's got me scratching my head. I always thought that great head angle and a nice water drop would trump a great foot raise. The buyers apparently think I'm wrong. What do you all think?

Fortunately for me, I didn't get all the elements together in the same image, or I'd have to quit photographing Spoonbills because I'd have the perfect image (yeah...right):D

Canon 1DsMII, 600mm f/4 with 2x, f/8, 1/640, ISO 200, barely cropped for straightening - Off tripod at ground level - face down in the mud at Ding Darling.
http://catcheroflight.smugmug.com/photos/380854916_aYbWH-X3.jpg

Glenn Bartley
09-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Another beauty Bob!

Blake Shadle
09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Bob, you're really taking care of business! Great exposure, light, perspective, and composition. Especially the perspective, your hard work and getting dirty really paid off. The head angle works for me in this image. A turn would probably make it better, but there's just something I like about the straight line of his wake and the bold profile. Wonderful image.

Alfred Forns
09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Good all around image Bob but best of all is the feel !!! The spoon looks so good with that bg !! Big Congrats !!!

Sudhir Shivaram
09-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Lovely image. The colours and exposure looks great. The raised legs makes it for me.

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
09-27-2008, 05:35 AM
once again - incredible shot and series!!!

Mark Schmitt
09-27-2008, 10:40 AM
The image has impact. For me the beautiful impact of the contrast of the primary colours agains the secondary colours. The blues are dramatic contrast to the warmer, demanding reds, yellows and magentas. They just command the viewers eye: can't be denied. Good image. :):)

Linda Robbins
09-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Lovely image. The colors and bg are just beautiful, and the head angle looks fine to me. Very ncie, and I'm glad it is selling well...

Maxis Gamez
09-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Bob,

One word and is not "sharpening". OUTSTANDING!!

Arthur Morris
09-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Hey Robert, I like this image and I like the one that I commented on too. I am, however, confused quite a bit. Please let me know if I am prying too much. You stated that "It is selling like crazy." I have been selling a few bird images over the past 25 years and we have never had an image sell like crazy? What sorts of usage rights are you selling and who are they buyers? No need for specifics, just curious...

thanks bud!

Axel Hildebrandt
09-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Great light, details, angle, pose and colors. If anything I would wish for a slight head turn.

Bob Blanchard
09-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Robert, I like this image and I like the one that I commented on too. I am, however, confused quite a bit. Please let me know if I am prying too much. You stated that "It is selling like crazy." I have been selling a few bird images over the past 25 years and we have never had an image sell like crazy? What sorts of usage rights are you selling and who are they buyers? No need for specifics, just curious...

thanks bud!

Hey Artie - PM me or call if you want more specifics, but basically I go through several mid-priced RF shops (none of the bargain-basement places) . I do some RM as well, but have not had much success with it in the highly saturated Nature/Wildlife area. In RF, I obviously won't know who the buyers are unless they contact me (which they can if they wish).

This particular image was not only reviewed by the first 15 people who saw it (15 views, and 15 reviews in the first few hours it went active), but had 10 sales of the first 15 as well (at varying price points). It's only been out for a few days, but is selling really well by my standards. A "Normal" sales pattern for me on a good image is 1 or 2 sales when it initially hits, then a lapse for a couple months while their search engines get it in play, and then maybe 2 to 4 sales a month thereafter. My best images only see between 20 and 40 sales a year. I won't get into pricing, but it varies depending on intended usage and size. I think this one may be doing better because it is nearly a full frame image (captured with the 2x).

I've got several hundred images out there with various agencies right now. Probably half of them don't do hardly anything at all (and should probably be taken down - 'cause frankly they suck by my current ability and standards!). Another 30% probably do really light sales (1 or less a month), and the top 20% do 2 or more a month (with some as high as 5 or more a month). If this image keeps on it's current track, it'll be my top seller in no time.

From your perspective, that's probably not "on fire", but from mine it certainly is :D

I basically get gas money and my equipment fund from stock sales. Not gonna be able to quit my day job any time soon :(:(

Hope that answers what you're asking? If not, drop me a PM or a call. For obvious reasons, I won't discuss agency names or price structure in this forum (too darn many good competitors!).

Charles Glatzer
09-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Bob,

Just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Chas