PDA

View Full Version : Buttress Roots

Ian McHenry
09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Here's an early digital image taken with Canon S2IS which I stll use as a back-up camera when using long lens on digital SLR.
As taken in native bush the light levels were very low. 1/8 sec @ F3.2.( wide open).
Comments Welcome.
Ian McHenry

Mike Moats
09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Ian, very interesting subject. I would crop a little off the top to remove some of the cluttered BG. All the green looks really nice.

Ian McHenry
09-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks Mike
Here's a crop showing a different perspective.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Mike Moats
09-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey Ian, like it a lot better. Well done.

Julie Kenward
09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
I really like the repost Ian. One thing to think about for next time...see how the front root is touching the edge of the frame? It feels a little cramped to me at the front middle edge...would have been nice to have seen the root go all the way into the dirt and "end" then to have it running out of the frame - even if just by a tiny bit. Everything else is really nicely done!

Ian McHenry
09-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks Mike & Jules
I agree that more space required around roots. Next time !!!!!

Robert O'Toole
09-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I really like the colors shapes and textures Ian. I prefer the first version.

One things that has not been mentioned is the light area in the center of the frame. Its not a big problem for me, but, its a 5 second fix with curves and a layer mask in PS and I think it would really improve the already nice image.

Robert

Ian McHenry
09-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Robert
I'll see if I can juggle something out of Photoshop Elements !!!

Gus Cobos
09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I likr the repost Ian...:cool:

Chris Starbuck
10-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Yet another opinion... Overall really nice; love the juxtaposition of the sweeping curves of the foreground roots with the big tangled jumble in the background. I have a slight preference for the cropped version, though I'm not sure I'd have cropped in from the right; perhaps just off the top.

Another thought for next time, regarding all the bright spots: a polarizer might have been able to almost eliminate them. Polarizers work wonders on glare in all sorts of diffuse lighting situations, such as overcast or deep shade.

Chris