PDA

View Full Version : Sycmore In Ice

Mike Moats
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello to all here at BPN. I am honored to have the opportunity to moderate the macro/flora gallery with two excellent photographers, Robert and Jeroen. I hope to help with the critiques here at BPN from my experience as a professinal nature photographer. If you would like to view my images go to,www.tinylandscapes.com (http://www.tinylandscapes.com/).
My first image I picked to post will fit the season. I have many winter images I will post, with hopes it will give you ideas for shots as you venture out. This is a sycamore leaf frozen in ice at the edge of a small lake. It was shot last year on a fifty degree day with the sun melting these interesting patterns over the leaf. It was shot with a FujiS3 Pro and a Sigma 180 macro. F22, 1 sec.

Steve Foss
01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Greatly executed, Mike, as I'd expect from you. Nice BG treatment, too, on top of the excellence of the subject. Well, actually I'm just assuming you treated it in some way, and I shouldn't assume.

Matthew Pugh
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi Mike
A sweet looking image - plenty of eye engaging features
All the best
Matthew

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Very inspiring work, Mike.
Welcome to BPN again, I'm a big fan of your work, so I'm delighted to have you here :)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome, Mike! I had a look at your website and way too much time there. :) I like this image a lot. The pattern in the ice is very unusual. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Caldwell
01-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Welcome Mike and thank for the great comments you have already left!

I really like the wonderfully abstract effect you captured in this leaf. We don't get many opportunites for images like this here in sunny Florida, but I'm not complaining!

Nicole Brooker
01-15-2008, 03:34 AM
This is beautiful. I like the effect with the ice.

Julie Kenward
01-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Mike I am just so inspired by all the ice images you've been posting here and at your blog. It almost makes me want the snow and ice to come back to Kansas City again so I can get out and take some of my own! This shot is beautiful - the patterns of the ice against the grain of the leaf is perfection.

Mike Moats
01-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Hey Julie, the great thing about macro is that you can shoot new and interesting stuff as the seasons change. The winter is a tough time to shoot in, but can produce many rewards for those willing to venture out. I thought about going out today, but it sure is nice and warm just setting here looking at images on BPN. The people of the north do have the advantage of being able to produce images that the photogs in the south can't.