PDA

View Full Version : Quelia Block out the Sun

Ken Watkins
09-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Part of a flock of thousands of Quelia blocking out the Sun, taken in Mapula Concession Botswana 14th September 2008

Canon 1D MkIII

500mm IS hand held

F8, 1/800, ISO 8000, EV -1

Axel Hildebrandt
09-26-2008, 02:40 PM
This looks quite impressive. I'd love to see this sometime. Is the light due to the birds blocking the sun?

Fabs Forns
09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Impressive it is. It reminds me if the RWBBs taking off at Bosque del Apache.

Sweet!!!

Arthur Morris
09-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes to impressive but I do not like the light. Working much wider would likely have been a great plan... I want to see a huge grouping.... The longest lens is not always the best...

Ken Watkins
09-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Art ,
Unfortunately I was not ready with my wider angle when they took off and was also shooting into the sun. Never mind better luck next time I say!

Ken Watkins
09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Art,

Art,
Yes I think I would have been better using a wide angle, also shooting into the sun is not that clever I had reduced the exposure by the third shot. I will hopefully get the opportunity to improve the next time.

Cheers

Ken

Arthur Morris
09-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Ken, Do you have two digital camera bodies? Were you working from a vehicle or on foot?

Ken Watkins
09-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Art,

I have two bodie the other has a 28-300 zoom, but I had just put this in a bag as we were stopping for sundowners when the great take-off occurred. We were on a vehicle.

Cheers

Ken

Arthur Morris
09-29-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info. I hope that yoy learned from your mistake... How do you like the 28-300. I may try to borrow one for Bosque this year.

Ken Watkins
09-30-2008, 02:28 AM
Hi Art,

Firstly it is obviously not as sharp as a prime, but it is nevertheless extremely useful in Safari situations in particular for larger animals, and those that come extremely close, plus pf course landscapes (although I do not take many of these). It is also in spite of what I have read elsewhere relatively light and makes a perfectly acceptable walkabout lens.

Arthur Morris
10-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Firstly it is obviously not as sharp as a prime, but it is nevertheless extremely useful in Safari situations in particular for larger animals, and those that come extremely close, plus pf course landscapes (although I do not take many of these). It is also in spite of what I have read elsewhere relatively light and makes a perfectly acceptable walkabout lens.

I used one at Bosque about two years ago and will get one again for this year. As far as it being "obviously not as sharp as a prime," I am always leery when I hear comments like that... Yeah, when folks do testing with a microscope the good zooms may be less sharp, but I'd love to see the proof in the pictures... I think that folks simply get used to believing the word on the street...

Respectfully