PDA

View Full Version : Out of the fog (before and after)

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi guys,
Our trip to Newfoundland last summer was great. The scenery and amount of birds was exciting and the only problem we had was heavy fog at Cape St. Mary in most days. we did have some rare clear days, but the Northerns Gannets didn't want to carry nesting material under the sun :(

1d3, 300/2.8 (thanks Chas)
f/7.1, 1/2000, ISO 800

I moved the blacks slider all the way in at conversion in Adobe Camera Raw, added some blacks to the neutrals in Selective colors, sharpened a bit and added a subtle dual filter to the background. Photoshop to the rescue :)

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Here's the after:

Jacqui Hendry
01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Amazing...........

Is your other name Harry Potter :D

Jacqui

Alfred Forns
01-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Amazing...........

Is your other name Harry Potter :D

Jacqui

................. :D:D :)

I like the conversion Fabs It is one of those you need to see to believe Excellent !!!

Diana Zorrilla
01-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Wow! Well done!

Diana

Jim Poor
01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Wow. I knew the process worked, but I didn't think it could go that far! I might go back and look at some old images again.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Very impressive how much details you got out of the original image!

Mike Milicia
01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I moved the blacks slider all the way in at conversion in Adobe Camera Raw, added some blacks to the neutrals in Selective colors, sharpened a bit and added a subtle dual filter to the background.

I was with you up to the "subtle dual filter".
Can you expand on what that means?

Thanks !

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I was with you up to the "subtle dual filter".
Can you expand on what that means?

Thanks !

That is Nik Color Effect dual filter at a low opacity.
I used it as a way to show that white skies can also be enhanced. For my own use, I left it totally white, since I favor high key images.

Thanks all!!!

Terry Eddington
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
That is Nik Color Effect dual filter at a low opacity.
I used it as a way to show that white skies can also be enhanced. For my own use, I left it totally white, since I favor high key images.

Thanks all!!!

Fabs, the changes are "fabulous" but I'm still lost on the dual effect filter. What version of PS are you using and where is this found in the menu? :confused:

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm using CS3, but the Nik color effect is a separate plugin.

You can find out more about it here:

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/en/entry.php

Nonda Surratt
01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Wow I had no clue, amazing

Ted Scalzo
01-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Very impressive Fabs. Lots to learn.

Jim Caldwell
01-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Fabs, I can't help thinking how many of us would have deleted the original. Amazing transformance!

Gerald Kelberg
01-16-2008, 05:03 AM
The transformation is truly amazing. I have seen a similar correction posted by Artie in one of his newsletters last Fall/Autumn and struggled to do the same in Lightroom - eventually giving up!
Is there a way of achieving a similar transformation/adjustment in Lightroom, or do I really need to go to CS3?

Thanks,

Gerald

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 09:35 AM
The transformation is truly amazing. I have seen a similar correction posted by Artie in one of his newsletters last Fall/Autumn and struggled to do the same in Lightroom - eventually giving up!
Is there a way of achieving a similar transformation/adjustment in Lightroom, or do I really need to go to CS3?

Thanks,

Gerald

Yes, go to the blacks and max them. Also do the curve to increase the mid-tones.

Alfred will pitch in I'm sure, he's the Lightroom expert :)

Gerald Kelberg
01-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Fabs and thanks for the guidance. Follows the result (I hope) - it was never going to be a prize-winning image, but was only intended as a proof of concept. I have satisfied myself that I can do it with Lightroom.

We have gone from almost total fog to a satisfactory image. I think the fact that the fog was not uniform across the landscape always meant that there was going to be some variation, but it's OK.

Thanks,

Gerald

Fabs Forns
01-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Great, Gerald!!!!
I'm sure you can boost the contrast in LR curves a bit more.

I love the fog in the background :)

Gerald Kelberg
01-18-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks Fabs!

You're right! II have given it more Contrst and Brightness, but had to knock back the yellow & green in thegrass as that got a bit too briight. The final result is really good!

Thanks again!

Gerald

Charles Glatzer
02-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Fabs,

Sweet transformation, indeed! (wink, wink)

XXOO,

Chas