PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean by eyecontact ?

Johannes Glännman
09-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi...

Johannes here.. From Sweden as you know and now I have a bit problem with the language here...

With my birdpictures, I quite often get the comment that it does not have so good eyecontact. What do you mean by that? I know what the word eyecontact mean, but I dont know how you mean that you will get eyecontact with the bird on the picture... Is it a thing that you only can have, and should have in portrait-pictures or can you and should you have it in behaviour-pictures to?

If you can explain a bit more what you mean with eyecontact in pictures with animals and bird would be great. If you want it would be really nice with some exampels on good and bad eyecontact to ....

Cheers // Johannes

Fabs Forns
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi Johannes,

We mean the eye in full view, not necessarily looking at you, but totally visible.

Hope this helps.

Charles Glatzer
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I refer to eye-contact as ... when a subject makes direct eye-contact with the viewer/maker. It maybe a sideward glance or full look with pupils centered.

Best,

Chas

James Shadle
09-26-2008, 01:16 PM
I agree with Chas.
IMO eye contact can be between subjects or elements in the image i.e. Mother and child looking at each other.
Very strong physiological lines.
Just food for thought.

However, Chas' explanation is the most common and the excepted norm.

Johannes Glännman
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for that, I am not sure I understand it completely but I know a bit more about what you mean :)

Cheers // johannes

Charles Glatzer
09-26-2008, 06:27 PM
Posted this image to illustrate what I consider eye-contact

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=147511#post147511

Best,

Chas

Fabs Forns
09-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Posted this image to illustrate what I consider eye-contact

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=147511#post147511

Best,

Chas

Great example and killer image :)
Thanks for taking the time to illustrate the concept.

Johannes Glännman
09-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Thank you Charles.. I think I am starting to know what you mean..

Cheers // Johannes

Howard Burkert
12-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Eye contact, is when the animal or any subject looks directly at or near the lens. Hang a larger print on a wall that has eye contact, and the eye or eyes will follow you anywhere you walk in the room. ( care must be taken as most animals look at human eye contact as a threat)
Best,
Howard