PDA

View Full Version : Flow Curves

Bruce Murden
09-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I liked the curve of the main standing wave coming from UL, flowing over the bright rock, and down to the whites in LR. It was touch to capture - and tough to get good focus here. Hope you find it interesting too.

Ocqueoc River, above Ocqueoc Falls (hey, they're just cascades), near Onaway, Michigan.

Nikon D80, Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 @ 250mm, f/13, 1/3s, ISO 100, morning, partly shaded with scattered clouds overhead.

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Hey Bruce,
The s curve is very strong. I might take a bit off the bottom to where the LR rock would be in the corner of the frame or try tining down the central bottom bright spots a bit to minimize them. Very nicely seen comp and well executed also.

Maxis Gamez
09-25-2008, 11:26 PM
I really like the water movement and all but why not sharp??

Robert Amoruso
09-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Bruce,

I agree the curve of the water is unique. I would selectively sharpen the upper dark rock and perhaps so of the flow in the lower left. One thing to try is sharpen the whole image on a BG copy, add a mask to the layer and then paint out the areas that should not be sharpened like the flow. Nice work putting this together.

Julie Kenward
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I really love the curve of the water but wish it was the light rock in the FG that had the sharpness to it instead of that darker rock in the BG. Still, it's a nicely creative image!

Bruce Murden
09-27-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks, all! When I get the chance, I'll try some selective sharpening to improve the view, and a crop through part of the yellow rock may make a better view.

With the water flowing over the light rock in LR, I don't think I could have focused better on it, due to the refraction of the water. The UR rock has some clearer spots that maybe could have had better focus. If I remember, I was trying to get the waterflow in focus as best I could. With smaller aperture and longer exposure the water went too white. I could have tried higher ISO, maybe 250, sometimes 400 with manageable noise, so I could have used same SS and smaller ap for more DOF.