PDA

View Full Version : Double-Breasted Cormorant B/W Silhouette

Scott Dart
01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
I was inspired by Artie's 'keyhole' images from his first book, so I tried to re-create the effect by shooting this Cormorant against the sunrise. The background is actually very distracting, which is why I had to go with this very tight center crop.

The resulting image was nearly B/W, the only other processing was to further dodge some detail from the buoy. I do enjoy the way the light plays around the edges of the bird. Let me know what you think!

Canon 20D
300mm f/2 + 2x
1/8000s f/5.6 ISO 100
Lake Sammamish, WA

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/415029171_d3f423d506_o.jpg

Alfred Forns
01-14-2008, 03:32 PM
I like it !!!! Glad your trying different images Remember this works best if you stop down to f 22 or so The highlights will take a special look !!!

Might like having more density on the top half At least not such hard transition The borders of the bird are interesting and do go with feel of the image !!!!

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Very interesting effect, Scott. I also love to try new things and other talented photographers are a constant source of inspiration.
I would crop some of the left for more visual impact.

Thanks for sharing this with us :)

Ganesh H Shankar
01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
An interesting image Scott. I would have liked a smaller version of it (I need to scroll the screen now - which is not very convenient for viewing). Trying to articulate my viewing - my eyes are not stopping any where. I think larger contrast differences caused by reflection and dark areas at the bottom are a serious visual competition to the bird in the frame. Agree with Alfred - love the undefined borders around the bird !