PDA

View Full Version : Gibbon Falls

John Blumenkamp
09-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm looking forward to a few days in Yellowstone NP next week, and tonight I spent some time looking through some images from the past couple years. This was captured last fall on a dull, overcast day. I've always enjoyed using my 70-200 to play with different compostions... would like to hear if others find this to work, etc.

40D w/ 70-200 f/4 @ 145mm
0.6sec f/16 iso100

(Not sure why I was at f/16 for this shot.. wouldn't normally do so)

Thanks for looking,
John

Bruce Murden
09-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Dull overcast day = brilliant beautiful falls. Great choice on the SS, giving a great feeling of both motion and serenity. F/4 didn't hurt you much, but I agree f/16 would give more depth and definition here. I also like the monochrome feel here, with just hints of coloration coming through.

I'm curious what's going on to the right of the image, especially because of the whiteness of the stream on the right that leaves the frame, but it's possible that including much more would lose the feeling of the stream on the left. A little less contrast on the RH stream may keep viewers traveling up and down the subject left hand stream.

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2008, 07:35 AM
John,

I had the same feeling at Bruce, what is going on at the right? Did you do a wider view?

This image stands on it own well and overcast is always a plus with waterfalls.

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi John,
I guess others don't realize you went to the base of the falls.........did you go over the ledge or walk upstream (which I did)??? The falls is very busy when it reaches many dead trees and isolating an area seems to work in this instance. More may have worked also........but the diagonal presentation of the flow works pretty well for my tastes. Maybe I'll run into you here as I am in the park until the 29th and return on the 2nd and stay until the 8th.

Judd Patterson
09-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Nice work John! The choice for f/16 was probably ideal here as it gives the water a nice silky flow that you might have otherwise missed. I've thought about hiking down to the falls myself, but never given it a try...looks worth the effort. Nice work and good luck on your trip there this year.