PDA

View Full Version : bombay hook in december

Joan Chasan
09-24-2008, 09:09 PM
we will be in the bombay hook area the first week in december. (delaware). I think we will be there on a day they DON"T have hunting. does anyone know how much that inpacts the birding? and photography? not interested in images of hunters.

also if anyone familiar with the area does it pay to go to prime hook and rehobeth beach, etc? could add an extra day or so to the trip. But can't seem to tell how much hunting impacts these 2 places.

any suggestions appreciated. also would like to be able to photo fairly close to car. not too much walking.

thanks'

Bill Jobes
09-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Hi Joan.

I can't tell you about the impact of hunting, but I can comment on 'not walking' much.'

On all my visits to BH, I've taken pictures exclusively from the car, and achieved excellent results.

There are well-maintained paths, but I've had so much fun using a BLUBB out the driver's window, that I've yet to walk.

I think you'll really enjoy the visit.

Dave Woeller
09-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I've heard reports lately that Bombay Hook has been very dry. I'm hoping that this weeks predicted rains will help that situation. I am planning my first trip to BH shorlty.

Joan Chasan
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
well keep me posted on what you find. we have till the first week in december. do you know about other refuges in the area and are they worth a trip?

Dave Woeller
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Joan
I'll be sure to post what we see at Bombay.The trip will be in the next couple of weeks. My wife and I usually shoot at the Edwin Forsythe refuge as listed in a couple other threads here. Activity has picked up a bit there recently. The usual suspects . Some egrets, lots of immature night herons, GBH's, tons of cormorants, lots of terns and this past weekend a couple of American Avocets were listed as seen at the bend in the wildlife drive. I didn't see them when I was there (Tide was too high and I was there to practice tern in flight shots). I've also never been to Blackwater near Salisbury MD. Does anyone have info for that site? I'ts about 3 hours from me.

Joan Chasan
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
forsythe refuge is in NJ? since we are flying to baltimore and function on the weekend is in MD north of DC will not go to NJ on this trip. So bombay hook only or + ? in the area.

Dave Woeller
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi Joan ! Yes Forsythe is here in Jersey. Sorry you won't be able to make it up this far. I had also mentioned Blackwater NWR, but that would be just as far or further. Sorry. Here is a link in case you ever do get the opportunity to travel that way
http://www.fws.gov/blackwater/index.htm

I'm still planning on getting to Bombay soon. A few of our club members are going this weekend. If I get a report on activity I'll share, otherwise I'll report when I go.

Joan Chasan
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
blackwater is 1 1/2 hours from dover del and barnegat is 2 1/2 hours. so blackwater could? be a possibility. what about prime hook and rehobeth? or will they just be repeats of what will see at bombay hook?

Linda Dulak
10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Joan: If you come across the Bay Bridge, Blackwater and Bombay Hook are about the same distance for you. We live on the Eastern Shore and have been to both. It depends on the weather and other conditions as to what birds will be available. We avoid times when there is hunting so don't really have a lot of experience with how that affects the birds.

Depending on the migration, Eastern Neck may have a lot of tundra swans about that time.

And if you are interested in eagles or gulls, consider the Conowingo Dam on the MD/PA border. If the dam is generating electricity, the area has fantastic activity and in the winter the sun is at your back at all time.

Linda

Earl West
11-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Joan, I shoot Bombay Hook almost every weekend of the year. I'm luck to live only 20 minutes from there. I see a few are directing you to Blackwater NWR in Md. It's a great place to shoot raptors, and they have the Sitka deer also. However the wildlife drive at Blackwater is 3/4 closed until January while they replace the bulkheads. Theres less than a mile of open drive. ....Bombay Hook had been unusualy dry the last 2 years, being a bit better this year. The impoundments do have some water and the Snow and Canadian Geese are coming in now. There's 8 miles of drive that you can shoot from your car. I've never been there that I haven't found something worth shooting. It's better in the morning as the sun rises in the east and gives great morning light to the freshwater impoundments with the sun to your back. I shoot 80% of the time from my truck window. Prime Hook is also great for photography, however not for shooting from or close to a car. There are some very nice trails there. I'm short on time right now but if you'd like to email me I can hook you up with a lot more information and I get you the Hunting Dates for December. Please feel free to email me. wolfsprt@gmail.com Happy Shooting Earl West

Earl West
11-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Dave.... Blackwater is great, but if you're planning on going there make it after Jan 2009. Most of the wildlife drive is closed while they replace the bulkheads. I was just there last Sunday. Got a few good eagle shots but there's not much to see with the drive mostly closed. Happy Shooting.... Earl West

Earl West
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Joan, I was at Bombay Hook Sunday, so I stopped by the Refuge Headquarters. The deer hunting dates for December are the 15th, 17th, and the 18th. The refuge is half closed for hunting, the other half is open to the public. One thing nice about the refuge is the gate opens usually about an hour before sunrise and it's an automatic gate for leaving at sunset. You don't have to worry about being out of the gate by any certain time. The snow geese are coming in by the tens of thousands, some Tundra Swans are showing up already. Pintails are coming in, even saw a Peregrine. Anything I can help you with, just ask. Happy Shooting Earl

Joan Chasan
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
thanks for the info.