PDA

View Full Version : Tetons from Jenny Lake

chad anderson
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi BPN,

I got a couple keepers from a road trip out west. This is a shot of the Tetons from Jenny Lake. I'm happy with the way it turned out. What do you think, should I just stick to the wildlife?

Cheers,

Chad
http://exposingfloridaphotograph.smugmug.com/

Michael Pancier
09-24-2008, 04:59 PM
I like it. this would be the perfect candidate for HDR I think ....

Julie Kenward
09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Chad, I think your composition is really nice - you're just a little over and under exposed. I put the image in CS3 and darkened the sky and snow areas of the mountains then lightened the lake and shore. I finished by dodging the tops of the rocks so they would better lead your eye into the photograph. See what you think...

(This was a really quick edit...just wanted to give you the general idea!)

Paul Marcellini
09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I like the comp and the leading lines here. Julie's edit works well. Only suggestion would be to maybe have moved forward to get the reflection clear of the rocks.

John Blumenkamp
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I think keeping the peaks centered/symmetrical works well in this image. I agree with Paul that moving forward slightly to get the reflection off the rocks may improve the image some.

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Chad,

Very well composed for the reasons mentioned so yes do more landscapes. Julie's work really helped bring the image's full potential out. In the field, bracket a scene like this where you have an extreme of contrast. Besides HDR that Michael mentioned, you could combined two corrected exposed images - the FG and the mountain/sky by layering. The extra bracketed images give you options.

The recommendation to move forward a bt to get the reflection away from the rocks is a good one and the only thing I would have mentioned regarding the composition. Nice work.

chad anderson
09-25-2008, 11:05 AM
thanks all, I can always count on some great suggestions here. Julie looks great, but I personally preffer the the rocks a little darker. Maybe I'll try this photoshop thing, it seems to be real popular :). I have several exposures, I'll probably continue to tinker with it for a while, especially for printing. Glad you ya'll liked it.

chad anderson
09-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi Paul, ya-- I have a couple shots w/o rocks-- they are cool too. I just think the rocks add a bit. Congrats on the show.

Michael Pancier
09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi Paul, ya-- I have a couple shots w/o rocks-- they are cool too. I just think the rocks add a bit. Congrats on the show.

without the rocks, I think the shot lends itself more towards landscape mode.

i like the rocks. If you have photomatix pro, try my raw conversion technique as posted in this month's BPN e-zine :D

chad anderson
09-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Micheal.

Roman Kurywczak
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey Chad,
I'm just up the road in Yellowstone right now and am headed there soon. I think the original comp is very nice and Julie's corrections and the other suggestions were right on.........that being said...........it wouldn't be fair to not say........use a grad ND filter next time(hey!....it's in my signature) .