PDA

View Full Version : First time with my 180

Robert O'Toole
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
This morning was my first time out with my new Sigma 180 macro :D

Even though it was way too windy and the sun was too bright I did mange to make 18 images and this is one of the first in the series. The biggest problem was trying to coax the skimmer to land on something interesting. Dflys in Florida seem to have a serious preference for dead perches!

Although the sun angle was off the flash helped even out the tones and the slight backlight added some nice warm highlights. So far I am impressed with the sharpness and the fact that the filter diameter and tripod mount are the same as my 150 macro is a plus.

Needham's Skimmer Female

NIKON D300 with Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX DG APO Macro IF HSM
Manual Exposure mode: 1/320 sec @ F8 Manual SBR200 Flash @ 1:8 power ISO 320
Extracted embedded Jpeg
PSCS3

Fabs Forns
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
You sneak, you got the 180!!!!!

I see you liked it. way to go!

See you soon :)

Julie Kenward
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow! I have definitely been thinking about adding another macro...this one looks pretty darn good! Robert, is the advantage of the 180mm over a shorter macro that you can stand further away? Do you notice an increase or decrease in DOF compared to a shorter macro? (I have a 100mm and have wondered about the 180mm...how it differs from the 100mm.)

The image looks beautiful...nice detail between the wings up to the eyes.

Robert O'Toole
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow! I have definitely been thinking about adding another macro...this one looks pretty darn good! Robert, is the advantage of the 180mm over a shorter macro that you can stand further away? Do you notice an increase or decrease in DOF compared to a shorter macro? (I have a 100mm and have wondered about the 180mm...how it differs from the 100mm.)

Yes, the 180 will give you more working distance over a 100 but also or even more importantly you gain finer background control due to the smaller angle of view. This allows you to choose what elements to include or exclude more easily.

You know interesting that you ask about DOF, one thing i did notice this morning was that it seemed like the 180 had a noticeably shallower DOF wide open. I didn't really expect to see that as my normal Macro lens is a Sigma 150..but it seemed like it was the case.

If you are thinking about a new 180 you should consider the Sigma 180 or 150. Quite a few of the BPN staff are using them and they are typically lighter and as sharp or sharper and usually cost about -30% to -50% less than the canon 180.

Robert

Harold Davis
09-24-2008, 04:04 PM
geez, that's awesome robert!! tons of detail! was that handheld?

Robert O'Toole
09-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Harold thanks. I think the image looks even better at 4200 pixels!

Yes this was handhold, I should have included that in the tech info sorry.

Most of my macro work is handheld with flash. Otherwise I use a monpod for macro for support but without the drawbacks of a tripod.

Robert

Harold Davis
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
thanks, robert! i kinda figured it was. just wanted to check. i knew the 150 was sharp. nice to know the 180 is a good option too!!!

Anita Rakestraw
09-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Wow, that is great, Robert! Incredibly sharp and clear!! I'm impressed with that lens!

Mike Gallo
09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Fantastic results Robert, a winning combination

Bruce Murden
09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Just wait until you get used to using this lens. Great first day with it!

Mike Moats
09-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Hey Robert, the 180 is an excellent lens, and as you point out, a steal in price compared to the canons and nikons. Looks like your starting out well with yours.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
09-29-2008, 10:33 AM

Julie
I have tried and tested the Sigmas with and without their 1.4 and 2x converters. The best optically is the 150mm, this lens coupled with a 1.4TC is a very useful combination and it retains AF. The 180mm is very good indeed but does not AF consistently with the 1.4 and not at all with the 2x TC.

I was going to buy the 150mm but when I handled the Canon 180mm ............ I bought the Canon, yes a lot more expensive but I got a 180mm with a 1.4TC that delivers AF and no need to carry Sigma v canon converters around. I prefer the finish of the Canon lens but in terms of pure value for money the Sigma wins hands down.
I am absolutely delighted with the Canon, I think the finish is a little more durable and subjectively I think the AF works a little more consistently and quickly. Optically - I cannot see any difference. Just keep that lens still and wow it delivers! The colour rendition and bokeh is also excellent. It is a lot to pay and in terms of pure optical performance it is not best value, but I am delighted with it and I don't use my Canon 100mm any more.

Jon

Robert O'Toole
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Julie
I have tried and tested the Sigmas with and without their 1.4 and 2x converters. The best optically is the 150mm, this lens coupled with a 1.4TC is a very useful combination and it retains AF. The 180mm is very good indeed but does not AF consistently with the 1.4 and not at all with the 2x TC.

I was going to buy the 150mm but when I handled the Canon 180mm ............ I bought the Canon, yes a lot more expensive but I got a 180mm with a 1.4TC that delivers AF and no need to carry Sigma v canon converters around. I prefer the finish of the Canon lens but in terms of pure value for money the Sigma wins hands down.
I am absolutely delighted with the Canon, I think the finish is a little more durable and subjectively I think the AF works a little more consistently and quickly. Optically - I cannot see any difference. Just keep that lens still and wow it delivers! The colour rendition and bokeh is also excellent. It is a lot to pay and in terms of pure optical performance it is not best value, but I am delighted with it and I don't use my Canon 100mm any more.

Jon

Thanks for the info.

Yes I agree about your comments on the Sigma lenses.

I want to add that the Canon lens is about $1300 at most shops, the Sigma is about $660, thats about a 50% premium.

The Canon 180 is capable of making great images no doubt but I used maybe 5 copies of the Canon 180 and owned one and I have to say that I found that the Sigma 150 had better IQ. The Canon 180 isnt really know to be a class IQ leader. Photozone made a comment that some Zooms have tested higher resolution.

You can actually use Canon extenders on the Sigma but you will have to use an extension tube and you will lose AF.

After owning Tamron 180, Sigma 180, and Canon 180, I would say that Canon AF is quicker but it makes large corrections and not always in the right direction. The 3rd party lenses AF slower, some like the Tamron much slower, but they also AF in smaller steps. This can be helpful when trying to AF on flying bees at close distances.

Just my opinion your mileage my vary :)

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

Yes I agree about your comments on the Sigma lenses.

I want to add that the Canon lens is about $1300 at most shops, the Sigma is about $660, thats about a 50% premium.

The Canon 180 is capable of making great images no doubt but I used maybe 5 copies of the Canon 180 and owned one and I have to say that I found that the Sigma 150 had better IQ. The Canon 180 isnt really know to be a class IQ leader. Photozone made a comment that some Zooms have tested higher resolution.

You can actually use Canon extenders on the Sigma but you will have to use an extension tube and you will lose AF.

After owning Tamron 180, Sigma 180, and Canon 180, I would say that Canon AF is quicker but it makes large corrections and not always in the right direction. The 3rd party lenses AF slower, some like the Tamron much slower, but they also AF in smaller steps. This can be helpful when trying to AF on flying bees at close distances.

Just my opinion your mileage my vary :)

Robert

No problem Robert, I respect your opinion, if the truth is known I suspect I have paid over the odds for the quality delivered, but the lens delivers for me and it also works with the 1.4TC which was the main reason for my purchasing it. I have used the Sigma 180 for some time and I was very impressed with it, in the end it may have been little more than a conditioned reflex that made me go for the Canon lens. I don't think it really matters much if you for the 150, or the 180 Sigma or Canon, it is just that the longest working AF distance offered is the Canon 180mm with 1.4 TC and that can be useful (to me!).:)
Jon

Robert O'Toole
09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Many people only use the original manufacturers lenses and there is nothing wrong with that!

I recommend using whatever equipment gives you the images that you are happy with :)

For my long lenses, 400 and up, I stick with Nikon or Canon as a rule. But this Nov I am supposed to give a Sigma 100-300 and 800 a test run.

Funny thing is that I have seen identical Nikon and Tamron lenses, Tamron does a lot of OEM work. Also I have see Nikon, olympus, canon, and one other P&S all with the same lens....a Sanyo.
I am told that the same optical factory assembles both Nikon and Canon lenses.

Robert