PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Landing

Jim Neiger
01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
This Purple Gallinule responded to a recording and flew towards my boat. I made this image as it was landing in a dense field of Lotus. This image was made 1 week after I got my 1D3 camera. As you can see the 1D3 did a good job of focusing on the bird even with the cluttered surroundings.

Osceola County, FL - 1D3, 500mm+1.4xTC, Effective focal length=910mm, hand held from boat, 1/2000, F5.6, ISO 800, manual exposure, ~40% crop

Del Cockroft
01-14-2008, 12:39 PM
As a grab shot I think you more or less nailed it. The BG is perhaps busier than you would normally want, but in some ways it sort of enhances the image. I like it a lot.

Marko Matesic
01-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Great timing! Beautiful surrounding ....
I wish that tip of right wing is on green background too!(don`t touching flower).......
but this is only small nit.......
Great capture

Tony Whitehead
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Great shot Jim. It looks like one that web presentation doesn't quite do justice. I imagine a large print would be impressive.

Sean McMahon
01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow, great. Super color on this guy, and perfect feathers, perfectly splayed, ~perfectly backlit.

I LIKE the blurry lotus blossoms, all except the foreground ones???

They have those funny green radar thingies in front of them.

Pan crop them out? (Might be tough to do. Not a lotta room.) The back ones are all more standard blooms, all with a standard blur = maybe less distracting and a good standard contrasting blur with your super sharp BIF shot.

Great photo though even as is. :-)

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I feel that you did a great job in capturing this image Jim. The waterhen's dark color complements the soft flowers and general background perfectly. The wings are magical for my taste.

What actual species of Galinula is this one?

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Must look great as a print. Maybe a tiny bit more contrast?

Arthur Morris
01-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I try not to post to too many moderators images but had to stop for this one. Spectaclar. I love the BKGR and the placement of the bird both against the BKGR and in the frame. A bit lighter and a bit more contrast would help as it looks from here.

Wat to go Captain Jim. later and love, artie

Rick A. Brown
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
A little more punch (contrast) added in post and this is perfect.

Ian McHenry
01-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Perfectly timed picture but I would prefer slightly deeper colour in the bird.
Has a slightly ethereal look.If that's the right word !!!
Beautiful composition.
Ian McHenry

Simon Bennett
01-15-2008, 02:59 AM
Super image Jim - I like how the arced wings are the shape of some of the flowers and I find the flowers enhancing rather than distracting.

susanschermer
01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Jim, I love this. The lake must be in bloom right now. I remember the lotus pods when I was there. Nothing like hand-holding for grabbing those great moments.