PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at Bahia Salinas, Western Puerto Rico

Rafael Rodriguez Mojica
09-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Bahia Salinas, off the western coast of Puerto Rico, a beautiful place where the sunsets are amazing. I shot this one amid miriads of mosquitoes biting me, or trying to do so. I also got into the water knee level.

Tech. data:
Camera Model Canon EOS 5D
Shooting Mode Program AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/100
Av( Aperture Value ) 4.5
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Focal Length 23.0 mm
Image Size 4368x2912
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Picture Style Portrait
Sharpness 2
Contrast 0
Saturation 0
Color tone 0
Color Space sRGB
Noise Reduction Off

Robert Amoruso
09-24-2008, 10:32 AM
This is a quite beautiful image Rafael. Serene and relaxing. What intriques me most the the deep red clouds and blue sky reflection of the water. You might expect that the water would more closely mimic the sky - the surprise is it doesn't.

The only thing I would suggest here is that walking right could have lessened the impact of the deeply silhouetted growth on the right and gotten better separate of two trees from the dark BG. But as presented, an excellent image. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Rafael,
Robert gave some very good advice on moving right as the large silhouette of land is a bit distracting. You captured an outstanding sunset with all the subtle colors. Cropping it out is possible.........but does take away a bit much from the beautiful sky. You did very nicely seperating most of the mangrove? shoots but the one touching the silhouette is a slight bit distracting also.
I re=posted a crop to show what I mean........but I don't think it is ideal and only moving around or composing vertically would have allowed you to achieve a similar result.

Fabs Forns
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Wow, Rafy, that sky in the water is to die for. I like Roman's idea as an alternate crop. Way to go!

Rafael Rodriguez Mojica
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Many thanks for your suggestions. I forgot to mention that walking around in this place means sinking in the mud. As you may sure know, this kind of light is very short spanned and there is little time to think or planify at the moment the shot. I too was impressed by the colors of the sky and the blue colors in the water, something I became aware later when I saw the picture in the computer.

Julie Kenward
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
This image is so beautiful! You caught some extraordinary light and did a wonderful job of exposing for it. It's just gorgeous!

david cramer
09-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Beautiful. I love the reflection of the trees in the front of the camera. The crop also improves the image.

Paul Marcellini
09-24-2008, 08:19 PM
My kind of sunset. A very familiar scene, and i know about the mosquitoes. They can make it so hard to compose. I like Roman's crop, maybe with a little more image on the right.

Also, its hard to figure out the reflection. Did you use a grad filter or blend 2 images? It just seems a bit too bright for me. Reflections are usually darker than the sky.

Good work, definitely considering the conditions.
Paul

Rafael Rodriguez Mojica
09-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for your comments. In this one I didn't use grad filters. nor did I blend two photos. I only used the circular polarizer. My explaining of the blue reflection is the low angle I used for shooting plus the angle of the sun' light very low in the horizon.