PDA

View Full Version : Mackinaw Island Sleeping

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-23-2008, 08:20 PM
I was out on Mackinaw Island in Michigan where only bicycles and horses are allowed. I got up early and waited for them to clean the streets and shot this photo as the Island slept.

Canon MarkIII - tripod- lens 24-105 - f/14-iso 100

Alfred Forns
09-24-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi Dennis Love the framing and feel of the image. Do you know if the famous Icebreaker was named after this town?

Fabs Forns
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
I like what you did with the light temperature, warm and cool. Beautiful image, thatnks for sharing it!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Alfred that whole area was named after ice breaker, but the Straits of Mackinaw were the Mackinaw bridge links the UP to LP is where the ice breaker did most of it's work as it kept the shipping lanes open between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron as it freezes in the Straits of Mackinaw. Thanks for your kind words and you to Fabs

Gus Cobos
09-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Dennis,
I like mood and feel of this image. Very well done congrats...:cool:

Alfred Forns
09-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks Dennis Have seen the Ice braker and its an impressive sight !!

Robert Amoruso
09-25-2008, 07:43 AM
The colors are most cool in this image. Nice work on the composition with the walking bridge leading you into the image.

Julie Kenward
09-25-2008, 03:11 PM
This is really beautiful. The depth of colors is well done - deep and dark without being overly saturated. Definitely worth it to get up early and capture this. How long did you expose the image for?

Robert O'Toole
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
This image looks like a Photomatix HDR image. That is quite a bit of dynamic range in the image.

I like it, good work, but you should leave processing notes and let everyone know if it is HDR or at least some processing hints.

Robert

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks everybody for your kind words and looking.

Hi Robert, it was a single image. I use lightroom then open in photoshop, I have three books I go by they are photoshop channels and 7 point system by Scott Kelby, and I use a lot of Dan Margulis as I do lots in lab color. I have a set steps I go though trying to find my own style and still looking also. Your Cd I ordered will only help me have a better product.

Robert O'Toole
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Dennis,

The glow around the roof tops and detail in the sky, the highlights and the colors look like a text book photomatix blend or HDR.

Interesting. If you didnt use Photomatix you should look into it, it only takes seconds and looks just like this effect.

You dont need more than one image. You just convert the file multiple times, as many as you would like. The effects are very good also and you dont have to worry about alignment.

Robert

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
09-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi Robert, went to the site downloaded demo and fired that puppy and Woow!! Purchased it and boy is that going to save me time as I spent alot of time on that image. Thanks Dennis

Robert O'Toole
09-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Dennis,

Glad you tried it.

Make sure to experiment with the details enhancement, strength, micro-contrast and micro-smoothing. Its fun sometimes to max them out to see what you can get.

Let me know if you need any tips or advice.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
09-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Dennis,

I am glad that Robert mentioned Photomatix above. Don't know why I didn't in my first post.

Anyway, you might want to check out two posts I did here. The second link shows a realistic version vs a hyper-realistic version created by using the many controls the program offers.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20089

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19507