Used some fillflash
1/400 sec. / f 6.3 due to the overcast weather / ISO 1600
Mark III Canon 100-400

are the sunflower seeds too disturbing?
Thanks for C/C

Lana Hays
01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Rosl
This has some nice color. Simplicity....which I like and a very curious little bird. I think I would like it better without the seeds...at least in his bill with a head on shot. You sure didn't have much light using ISO 1600 but I wish that you could have had a little more DOF to get more of the bird in focus. I don't know if you used a tripod (they can limit your flexibility) but they can get you a little more DOF. I think you have the right idea....just need a little bit of tweaking.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-15-2008, 07:31 AM
The setting and BG are great but I find the sunflower seeds distracting. Maybe you can bait the bird with one seed and wait until he ate it. :) I might crop a bit off the top.

Jacqui Hendry
01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Hello Rose,

I agree with the other comments,you have a beautiful background and lovely composition, but I do feel that the excess seed in the flower heads do distract from the overall image

Jacqui

Gerald Kelberg
01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Hi,
Maybe because Blue Tits are common in my garden, I find the seed in the mouth less distracting than others do. I also like the idea of feeding using flower heads rather than loose seed.
Your point of focus seems to be on the leading flower head, thus the depth of field doesn't quite cover the bird - sadly. I also looked at cropping the right side to within about a cm of the flower heads. This seemed to put more emphasis on the bird, making it a stronger image, for me!

Gerald

ashkan ojaghi
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi Rose , the image is nice the BG is very good but i agree with lana hays .. and i think the image is pointing to the sunflowers not to the bird .. and the bird is hidden in the frame because it's light green-yellowish body .. at the first time that i looked at this picture the flowers took my attention sooner than the bird.. but it's still a nice image!

Rosl Roessner
01-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your comments; that's what I was already thinking of the picture and espacially the sunflower seeds.....
@ Lana: I did use a tripod, but it was simply too bad light....

Jim Neiger
01-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi Rosl,

I'm with the others. I like the bird, pose, and bg, but find the seeds distracting. One trick you may want to try is to drill small holes in the back side of the perch and then stuff crushed seeds in the holes. That way the seeds aren't visible and the bird needs to stay on the perch while it digs the crushed seeds out of the holes. This will give you more photo opportunities. Also the little bits are less obvious in the birds mouth than whole seeds.