PDA

View Full Version : Bits of Gold Upon the Shore

Anita Rakestraw
09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Photographed on rocks at the lakeshore. I didn't see the spider until viewing the photo on the computer. One friend would crop it out, another thought it was a bonus. What do you think? I cropped a little, mostly from the sides; lightened the shadow at the bottom; and cloned over or burned a few highlights.

8-25-08, 7 p.m.
1DMkIII, 100mm macro @ fl 100. tripod
ISO 400, 1/400, f/6.3

Julie Kenward
09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
That spider is definitely a plus! The fact that he's the same color as the leaf is a double bonus!!!

I'd be tempted to either clone out the lighter spot at the bottom or crop just a little off that end. Also, might want to check noise reduction - I think I see some at the top of the image.

Cool compo, Anita. I like it!

Ed Vatza
09-23-2008, 08:02 PM
I like where you are headed here Anita. The leaf looks good with this lighting although I do wish the lighting extended to the bottom of the leaf.

Leave the spider. It works so well with the leaf. They complement one another.

I am a bit distracted by what look to be slightly hot spots (does that make them warm spots???) in the UL. Otherwise looks good.

Robert O'Toole
09-23-2008, 08:10 PM
The warm backlight looks very nice. I like the delicate shape of the leaf and stem also.

Am with Julie on the noise issue. Also I would try to work on the edge halos next time with the sharpening. I will cover this in my new APTATS CD.
You can add a layer mask and paint the sharpening effect in and leave the edges untouched or certain areas sharpened less than others.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks, Julie, Ed and Robert. As usual, I can't detect the noise on my monitor, and don't see any edge haloing - not that I doubt it's there, Robert! Just saying it doesn't show up for me on my monitor....:( Are you sure what you're calling haloing is not just backlighting or rim lighting, though? That's what I thought it was. GOTTA make a decision on what calibration program to buy and get it!!!!! :)

Robert O'Toole
09-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Yes back lighting will have some light edges for sure. Thats why its better to be really careful when you sharpen there. Its not so bad on the sides but the leaf tip is strong.

You will be happy when you get calibrated! Then you have to set up your browser to display properly. Email or PM me when you get set up.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
09-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Robert. Yes, I will contact you when I get calibrated, greatly appreciate your help!