PDA

View Full Version : Just who is intimidating WHOM?

Steve Foss
01-14-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm not a big fan of bug photography, but I moved in on this one on an ox-eye daisy last summer and instead of moving away it turned to face me and actually advanced on the lens, which was quite close.

Edit: I see upon posting this is a tad dark. Sorry 'bout that.

Canon 30D, Canon 100 macro, iso400, 1/500 at f8, handheld

Alfred Forns
01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I like it Steve Not sure If I would lighten any? If anything reduce the negative space on top just a little and tighter on the right

Love the head in view and fine detail This is one fine bug image !!!! Big Congrats !!!

Mike Moats
01-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Steve, nice to see you posting here. You always have some great images posted. I really like the comp, color combination, and great job on the BG. I like the offset in the frame. I would agree with Alfred on the slightly tighter crop, but overall really nice.

Steve Foss
01-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks, guys, I'll take your advice on the crop. Good to see you here too, Mike. Are you the token Fuji guy? :D :D :D

Matthew Pugh
01-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi
A nice image as seen, but as already mentioned perhaps the composition could have been tightened up some.
My own personal preference would have been for a more central placement of the main star (the bug) at time of shooting. I just think this would have made a nice play of elements - sort of a central bug look, versus a slightly off central flower
But that’s probably just me - and this look pretty good as it is
All the best
Matthew

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Very nice, Steve, agree on the crop idea, and fro my taste, I would lighten the little guy's face a bit, I took a quick stab at it, see if you like it.

Hope you don't mind :o

Steve Foss
01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks, Fabs, I don't mind a bit. :cool:

Robert O'Toole
01-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Great subject and clean image.

I am a little late but I would center the flower and lighten it quite a bit.

The white petals are all grey on my PC monitor. Are the white on a 1.8 Gamma monitor? Lightening it would bring out more details in the beetle too.

Robert

Steve Foss
01-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Robert, the brightest of the whites are just short of being blown out when I check levels in CS2. They are at about the same levels as the bunchberries I posted a few days ago farther down this board. I don't know anything about the 1.8 Gamma monitor business.