PDA

View Full Version : My Favorite Macro Lens

Arthur Morris
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
I noticed a stand of back-lit sunflowers after getting lost near Bosque. There was a pile of dirt behind them and the shaded side of the pile yielded the black background after exposing correctly for the yellow petals.

Canon 500mm f/4 L lS lens with one 50mm and one 12 mm extension tube and the EOS 1D MIII. Evaluative metering -2/3 stop: 1/100 sec. at f/16 (on the Gitzo 3530 LS tripod with the Mongoose M3.5)

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Ed Vatza
09-22-2008, 01:05 PM
OK, I'll take a leap here, Artie! :D I think the flower looks terrific. I love the perspective, the light and the beautiful yellows. And the black background sets it off perfectly. That said, personally I am bothered a bit by all the black background to the left and think I might prefer the image with a vertical crop.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi Ed, Thanks for your comments. Would a VERT original do? When I have a good situation, I make sue to create a variety of images. :)

Maxis Gamez
09-22-2008, 04:18 PM
I use the 500 all the time for macro. Both works well for me.

Layton E Parham
09-22-2008, 04:37 PM
I like the horizontal. Veiwed from the rear it gives the flower an area to face. Layton

Julie Kenward
09-22-2008, 06:16 PM
I actually like them both but...if you had a flower facing forward on the left side of the horizontal crop I think that would put it over the top! Got any you can clone in???

Robert O'Toole
09-22-2008, 08:51 PM
You know I really like the original version and i was going to say how great it looked. Then I found the vertical. Forget it I like the vertical more!
The reason might not be what you would think, for me the great details are much more life-like and sharper in the vertical only because of the larger effective size of the subject.
The light quality and black BG look great in both versions.

Robert

Gus Cobos
09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Mr. Morris,
I prefer the vertical composition, In my opinion its a much stronger composition...:cool:

Mike Moats
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Hey Artie, love the vert, the horizontal has to much negative space for my taste, good suggestion Ed. Great exposure on the flower.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I like them both very much, I think I prefer the vertical. I understand you are demonstrating flexibility here but I wonder how this would have compared to a shot taken with a macro lens........but wouldn't it have been quicker and easier to have used a macro lens?

Jon

Arthur Morris
09-30-2008, 04:57 AM
I I understand you are demonstrating flexibility here but I wonder how this would have compared to a shot taken with a macro lens........but wouldn't it have been quicker and easier to have used a macro lens? Jon

Hi Jon, To use my macro lens, I would have had to fly from NM back to FL as my macro lens was in my garage on a shelf; I rarely travel with it and almost never carry it into the field when I do have it in the car... In addition, the narrow angle of view with the 500 (plus tubes) is often a big plus in isolating the subject, an attractive BKGR, or both. So not quicker and not easier and possibly not as effective.

My main point was that carry extension tubes is a good plan for bird photographers so that the can have a "macro" lens with them at all times to use on medium-sized macro subjects...

Ian McHenry
09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi Artie
The vertical is probably more dynamic but I prefer the horizontal.
Space is often good in nature pix.
Ian Mc

Arthur Morris
10-01-2008, 03:48 AM
Some folks like the HORZ. Some folks like the VERT. That's why I photograph them a few different ways. I like the HORZ best here. Thanks all for your comments.