PDA

View Full Version : Western Sandpiper?

Michael Pancier
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/352752013_ecb6cc971d_o.jpg

one of my older pics taken in August near Flamingo.

I could never get a confirmed ID on this one. Leaning towards a Western.

Arthur Morris
09-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Adult Western Sandpiper in winter, basic, or non-breeding plumage is my call.

Dave Brown
09-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I guess the only thing that would throw this into question would be the small bill. This bill is well within range for an east coast femal Semi Sand. However, there is something much more important to consider here- moult timing. You would be hard pressed to find a Semi Sand in full basic plumage in August- the date does it for me, I agree with WESA. Other things which help are the "Jizz" kinda big headed thick necked bird. This feels lika a Wesa.

Dave Brown

Arthur Morris
09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
The bill is not small, it is long, and deep at the base as is right for Western. In addition, the tip of the bill looks as if somebody flattened it by squeezing it hard between an index finger and a thumb and then bent it down a bit. Again, perfect for Western and ruling out Semi sand.

Dave Brown
09-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi,

Right, I'm not disputing it's a Western,that much is relatively straightforward. I'm just saying that the bill is at best an accessory to an id in this instance. I have images of Semi Sand form Newfoundland this year with bills to rival this bird.WESA is very rare in NFLD I scrutinize every SESA I see looking for a Western or a Stint sp. Ofcourse as you pointed out this birds bill has a deep base, definitely a good WESA character, it also has a nice droop, but I assure you that the longest billed SESA's can rival this bird..it's not just clearcut. I'm agreeing with you here :)

Dave Brown