Manos Papadomanolakis
01-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Canon 40 D Canon EF 500mm f/4 L IS USM 1.4x TC
1/500 f 5.6 iso 800
My first post,comments welcome!!!

http://www.birdphotography.gr/images/stories/img_2011w.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome, Manos! I like the idea and it is great to see both eyes. I'm not so sure about the composition. It is a bit too tight for my taste. Maybe it would also work as a vertical crop. Keep them coming.

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Manos,

Big welcome to BPN!!!!

That is one ambitious Great Egret :eek:

The two eyes showing make a very strong impact. Not sure about the crop, not because it's tight, because you want to put extra emphasis in the eyes, but maybe a vertical would have been more appropriate for the subject?
Just thinking out loud...

Hope to make your BPN experience a very exciting one, looking forward to more from you!

Jim Poor
01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Neat. I really like the close up view of the eyes. I wonder if you have enough left over to show the full length of the beak? I think the eyes would still be a focal point where they are located that way.

Arthur Morris
01-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Well done on sharpness and exposure. I would at least like to see the pectoral fins. Is this a natural catch or did you feed the big birdie?

later and love, artie

Manos Papadomanolakis
01-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words!
For the composition:
I shoot about 5,5 meters from the bird,it is not cropped image!
For the teacher really it is nature catch!

Jim Poor
01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Ok, got it. Not cropped. Did you happen to also shoot vertical in another frame? I've been trying to force myself to look for more vertical comps by shooting nothing but verticals for an entire outing or a set time frame while I'm out.

Marko Matesic
01-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi Manos ....nice to see you here.....you know what I think about this one....it is perfect to me....but Big guys giving us great lesson and open our eyes more widely .....perfect forum just like your capture! :)

Manos Papadomanolakis
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
For Jim:
Sorry but I have not a vertical shot and for the teacher the bird was above in a wooden marina in a harbour of Greece,
thats why it`s a big and unusual fish for this kind of bird!

All the best
Marko

Steve Foss
01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Great image. I like the comp as is. A vertical comp would show more of the mandibles and the fish, but for me the impact is in the eyes, and the more visible of the bill and fish the less emphasis on the eyes.

john jackson
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I like the full image very much and would leave it alone. But, if I were to crop it, I would take the crop in even tighter – almost up to the bill on the right of the image – to make it close to an abstract image.