PDA

View Full Version : Headwaters of the Mississippi River

Mike Lentz
09-22-2008, 08:09 AM
This is where the mighty Mississippi river begins. It's a place of uncompromising beauty, etched with dense forests and sky-tinted waters. The Mississippi river begins here as a small stream beneath the majestic pine trees of Itasca State Park. I got there before the flood of folks who walk across the rocks and the other shutter bugs were apparently sleeping in this AM. :D

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/103454817.jpg

Nikon D300 ~
ISO 100 ~ F/11 ~ 1/30 sec

Julie Kenward
09-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Mike, this is truly a beautiful image. The colors in the sky are absolutely spectacular! I did think the balance of the image was a bit bottom heavy, though so I tried a crop that would put it more along the ROT's. I didn't really see how the extra water at the bottom was adding anything to the overall image when the sky is clearly stealing this show but its your call. It's a beautiful image either way.

Roman Kurywczak
09-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Mike,
The original comp works best for me. I find the water edge makes a nice leading line and the rock pile seems to be close enough to the ROT position. Maybe a hair more room behind the tree......to also put it more in the ROT position.........but not sure what was behind it would be work..........so overall........very nicely done! Way to beat the crowd too!

Robert Amoruso
09-23-2008, 06:53 AM
I am going with Roman on this one. FG shore is good leading line as a curve and the rocks are better balanced in the original comp. Love the subtle rays in the sky. Good work preserving that.

Mike Lentz
09-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks, Julie. I appreciate your feedback. :)
Roman & Robert, thanks for the feedback as well. I have a few other angles I'll post as well.

Gus Cobos
09-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi Mike,
I like the original as presented. Great colors, very majestic. place...:cool: