PDA

View Full Version : Pellet ejection in shorebirds.

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I came across an interesting behaviour from a Greater Yellowlegs today. Watching through the viewfinder I knew something was coming up (pun intended) when this guy opened its mouth way wide and started to contract its' outstretched neck. Owls are famous for ejecting pellets but I never was aware, until today, that some species of shorebirds also did this (some plovers, turnstones). After some small research I found out that some do this when their diet consists mainly of fish. I guess we learn something new every day! This image, although technically not ideal, nicely documents what I saw and though it interesting enough to share with you...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/Greater-YellowlegsBPN.jpg

John Chardine
09-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Daniel- Very interesting to see this in shorebirds although not surprising I suppose. At least I am aware of gulls and skuas/jaegers producing pellets of bones (mainly fish, but whatever they are eating), mollusc shells, beetle elytra and feathers etc, and likely other species groups do as well. Shorebirds and gulls/jeagers are closely related.

Bill Sharkey
09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
In June this year I witnessed a Kingbird hacking up a dark pellet of some sort. Have you heard of this before John?

Bill

Lana Hays
09-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I got this image of a Whimbrel yacking a pellet. Unfortunately my timing was a little off and just got it as it was hitting the water. I have seen other shorebirds also do this.