PDA

View Full Version : On The Down Low

Julie Kenward
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I ran over to a nearby woods tonight right before sunset to scope out what was there. I'll be going back tomorrow when the light is better as there must have been a half dozen different mushrooms and fungi growing in the quarter mile I walked tonight! This was one of the only images that turned out because I had to drop my shutter speed down really low and there wasn't a lot of room for bracing the camera. Tomorrow should result in some better images!

Canon 40D, EF70-200mm f/4L
f4 @ 1/80th, ISO 320
AWB, Center-weighted metering, handheld
E-TTL flash, low, dappled natural light

Processed in ACR & CS3. Levels adjustment and small crop. Burned & blurred the BG to keep it from being too distracting.

Ed Vatza
09-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Jules,

I'm not sure about this one. I feel like there are two images wrapped up in one here. The left side of the image revolves around the mushroom/fungus while the right side revolves around the cluster of leaves. I think both could be made to stand on their own but as presented the two sides are competing for my attention and my eye keeps flipping back and forth.

Just as an aside, you might want to consider a Canon 500D close-up lens for that 70-200. I have one for my 70-200 f/2.8 and it comes in handy sometimes when I don't have a macro lens with me... or am too lazy to switch. Just screw it on like a filter and voila! I've made some nice images with the 70-200 and 500D. Maybe you already have one but just a thought.

Anita Rakestraw
09-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Agree with Ed, Julie, that it looks like two different images here. I hope you went back, bet there's lots of interesting stuff in that woods!

Robert O'Toole
09-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Agree with the previous and I think if you put some more time into it you will be more successful.

When I am faced with dappled light I will grab someone near by to block the sun. Or pull off a jacket or sweater and hang it from a tripod or a tree.

Also when faced with low light, fungus, and no tripod, I drop down and place the camera on the ground, a rock, or a piece of wood. Hand holding standing up is much more prone to shake.

Robert

Mike Moats
09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Julie, agree on to much going on and nothing that really grabs my eye. Maybe there's a tighter comp. Try again, I know you'll find it.