PDA

View Full Version : Bison and Thistle

Steve Canuel
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
40D, 1-400L @ 320mm, f6.3, 1/500s, ISO 400.

Alfred Forns
09-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I like it a lot Steve Soft light, good pose and love the thistles If anything smooth out the bg a little more. Gorgeous image !!!!

Cindy Cone
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Great bison composition, Steve! I really like the pose, the beard, the eye contact and the thistles.

John Blumenkamp
09-22-2008, 01:09 AM
Hi Steve... I really like this - that eye contact really provides a lot of impact, and the placement of the bison behind the thistle is a nice touch. If it were mine I might crop alittle off the left? Nice work.

Julie Kenward
09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
What a beauty! Another thought might be to tone down the row of grass in the FG. It keeps pulling my eye down... The beard on that bison is spectacular!!!

Robert Amoruso
09-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Steve,

Nice light and I like the white beard (and the reason for it). Agree with one suggestion on cropping some from right.

Some Shadows/Highlights adjustment for the dark side of the face really opens it up w/o noise. I tried it to see first.

Doris Dumrauf
09-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Steve,
what an awesome photo! I love the composition of this big beast against the thistle. Great shot!
Doris Dumrauf
www.dorisdumrauf.com

Steve Canuel
09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

ChasMcRae
09-23-2008, 09:28 AM
I have always thought photographing Bison and making an attractive picture tough. You have done a great job with color and interest of this guy.
I love the color of the animal and like you I get carried away with subject and miss the foreground grass many times. I assume the pic was handheld ? Any more pics from that trip ?

Chas.

Susan Griffith
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
The frost (or is it white dust.. hard to tell) on the muzzle and bear are fantastic and you have done a great job with the composition. Beautiful image. -Susan

Steve Canuel
09-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I have always thought photographing Bison and making an attractive picture tough. You have done a great job with color and interest of this guy.
I love the color of the animal and like you I get carried away with subject and miss the foreground grass many times. I assume the pic was handheld ? Any more pics from that trip ?

Chas.

Thanks Chas,
It is sometimes hard to get them (or really any grazers) to do something other than eat grass or chew their cuds. I missed the rut by about two weeks although some of the bulls were still a little wound up. I try to get shots with some interesting (at least to me) bits of environment in them but often end up dropping the camera down to watch unhindered rather than take pictures. Guess I still get too excited just seeing/being around them. Pic was handheld and all my recent bison posts were from this trip.

Steve Canuel
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
The frost (or is it white dust.. hard to tell) on the muzzle and bear are fantastic and you have done a great job with the composition. Beautiful image. -Susan

Thanks Susan. The light stuff on the face is neither dust nor frost. It's just highly reflective wet fur.

Charles Glatzer
09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Hello Steve,

I would not chage a thing other than to modify the crop/comp slightly.

We head to SD next week. I am greatly looking forward to returning.

Best,

Chas

Steve Canuel
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Hello Steve,

I would not chage a thing other than to modify the crop/comp slightly.

We head to SD next week. I am greatly looking forward to returning.

Best,

Chas

Thanks Chas.

DanWalters
09-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Really like the low angle and the vert comp. Like the eye contact and the flowers add a nice dash of color.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
09-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Terrific shot I like it very much, for me I think the colours are just a little too saturated, but I wasn't there, ............
but I do appreciate you have fantastic colours and light in North America so maybe I should just keep quiet!
Jon

Sabyasachi Patra
10-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Steve,
I like this shot. Love the angle and the looks. I think cropping from the right would be a bit tight.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

david cramer
10-12-2008, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't crop anymore, but agree with s/h and toning down the grass. Very nice sharpness from snout to horn.