PDA

View Full Version : Ground Orchid

Amy DeStefanis
09-21-2008, 02:54 PM
This is what my husband gets for sending me to the local nursery to get mulch.... I always come home with SOMETHING that's blooming.

In this case it's ground orchids which I hope will be happy in my yard.

:)

Nikon D80
ISO 800
60mm (sorry, no extension tube this time - couldn't back off far enough to get everything in).
1/13 second @ f/16
On Tripod
Natural light

Amy D.

Julie Kenward
09-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Ground orchids! I somehow doubt those would make it here in the Midwest! I love the magenta against the black BG, Amy. You got really nice detail on this. Wouldn't mind seeing just a bit more near the bottom so it didn't feel so cramped on that end. Otherwise, nicely done!

Gus Cobos
09-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Amy,
I like your composition,and image. Its placed just perfect in frame. I took the liberty of altering the bottom just a little by cleaning up the diagonal from the bottom and along the stem, I kicked up the saturation just a tad and selectively lightened and sharpened. see if you like...:cool:

Forgive me Amy, I left some cloning marks behind at the bottom; but you get the picture...:)

Robert O'Toole
09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Julie is right on with the critique nothing to add for me nice image Amy!!

The tip Julie mentioned about room at the bottom is the optical center. Things always look better to the eye when you have slightly more space at the bottom than the top. At least try for a little more space next time :-)

Robert

Amy DeStefanis
09-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks Gus!

I think I prefer the diagonal as it is the stem of the lower bloom. Without it, it looks like it is floating disassociated (maybe just because I know what the 3-dimensional flower looked like). But I agree, it could be cleaned up - the green behind the stem looks like a leaf from the background, and that could go as well.

Also, I think I actually had played around with DEsaturating a little to make it more realistic. I went back and forth with that - but mostly because I was afraid it looked over saturated in the original.... I like it either way, but it's good to get different views and see it different ways.

Here it is again with more room at the bottom. I also bumped up the saturation a little.

Amy

Greg Basco
09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Amy, this final version looks great -- love the light on the flowers and the black BG.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Mike Moats
09-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Hey Amy, really nice details and color, and the repost looks much better. Well done.