PDA

View Full Version : The Chase - Peregrine and "Peep"

Stephen Stephen
09-21-2008, 06:21 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds2/PeregrineAttack.jpg

It seems that I've been travelling almost constantly since mid June. While I have had time to create some images I've not had time to visit here so this is my first post for quite some time.

I created this image at Kouchibouguac National Park, in northeast New Brunswick during the first week of September, while walking on a looonnnggg boardwalk, to the beach over some tidal marshes. I noticed a small flock of "peeps" resting on a sand bar while a Great Blue Heron stood nearby. I was expecting to create a few images after we approached a little closer. Suddenly the GBH gave a loud squawk and I looked up to see the "peeps" take to the air with a larger dark form in amongst them. Fortunately I had my 40D around my neck. :D

This image is the only one I have of the Peregrine and one of the "peeps" in the frame. Unfortunately it was created in harsh light (~1:30 p.m.) and it's a big crop from the lower center and right hand of the full frame. That being said, I'm pleased to have witnessed this action. The Peregrine left without a meal.

I've posted it as a panoramic because I decided not to add any canvas to the bottom or in front of the "peep" even though the "peep" only has partial reflection and there is very little space in front of it. This makes both birds small in the frame but I do like that the eye of both birds is visible.

Canon 40D, Sigma 50-500mm, ISO 400, F6.3, 1/5000. Cropped to about 25% of full frame. Some selective sharpening on the Peregrine.

Ed Cordes
09-21-2008, 08:37 PM
I think you did well to capture this image under the circumstances. Your own nits are correct, but the behavior and action captured overcome these. Thanks for sharing.

Rob Palmer
09-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Really cool action and I know how hard it is to get a shot like this in any light. Well done!

Stephen Stephen
09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks you Ed and Rob for taking the time to comment. Perhaps I shoud have posted this in the Panoramic forum. It looks much better with a wdith of at least 1000 pixels.

Daniel Cadieux
09-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Stephen what a thrill to observe...lucky you!! I can feel the dramatic action here. I like the banking peep - it conveys how it must have tried to outmaneuver the staright-lining falcon, very cool!