PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the ambush - Orb Weaver

Daniel Cadieux
09-21-2008, 05:23 AM
This gal has been living in my wife's Cherry Tomato plant for about a month now...so it was time to finally do something about it. No, not get rid of it - but rather take some photographs! My two sons love it, and always have time to stop and observe it as it spins its victims into silky mummies. Quite the intimidating sight when it rests head-down in the middle of her huge web. Here it lies in ambush mode with a couple of its' legs touching the "signal" line for any sign of vibrations. It usually hides under the dried OOF leaves behind it but this time she was enoying the outdoors a little better. BTW her body is about the same size and stiffeness (don't ask me how I know that:eek:) of one of the cherry tomatos!

Canon 40D + Tamro 28-75mm @ 75mm + 20mm extention tube, 1/100s., f/8, ISO 800, handheld.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_OrbWeaver_9590-01.jpg

Julie Kenward
09-21-2008, 03:14 PM
The spider is very nice Daniel. I wish a bit more of the surrounding BG were more in focus, though. Still, I'm sure he'll haunt me in my dreams tonight! :eek:

Robert O'Toole
09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Nice comp and placement Daniel. would work well flipped also.

Too bad a moth or bug didnt "happen" to into the web right before you made this image, maybe next time? ;)

Robert