PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Crested Caracara

Maxis Gamez
09-20-2008, 11:42 PM
http://www.********.org/bpn/30D/_MG_1593.jpg
Juvenile Crested Caracara - S.W Florida

Well, the tides were not in my side this weekend, so I decided to hit the back country roads. After driving for a while, I came face to face with this guy and after 15 quick mask sections, I end up with this. I removed a lot of high grass and other distractions. Thank you Robert O'toole once again for the technique.

TIP: When using your car as a blind, have everything ready. For this trip, I had my 30D attached to my 400mm and my 40D attached to my 500mm with a 12mm tube. AND both with similar exposures ready to go. I also used a dirty T-shirt folded as a bean bag for other images (Not recommended). :D

Hope you like it....

Canon 30D, 400mm L @ f/5.6, 1/640 sec, ISO 400, RAW, Handheld, Almost full frame.

Thanks!

Manos Papadomanolakis
09-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Great pose,colors and details!!!!

Bonnie Block
09-21-2008, 09:20 AM
This is one cool bird, Maxis. Excellent angle and sharp, well exposed. I like the catchlight in its eye.
Good work on the pp.

bill kominsky
09-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I wasn't so lucky with the CaraCara I did yesterdy at Viera, but your is beautiful Maxis and I certainly agree with the detail and color and of course the composition, very nicely done. Maybe someday we can go over the quick mask feature, have a great Sunday.

Ramon M. Casares
09-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Maxis, nice picture, I don't know if you niticed but the bird's right wing is broken, or at least it looks like it's broken, I know sometimes birds of pray put their wing like that when they are relaxed or resting, but this young Caracara doesn't look that relaxed, actually, for the left wing feather's messy look I would say that somebody or something has happened to this poor guy. Still the image is very nice, the compo and the light as well as the BG and colours are very very good! Congratulations!

Ps: I might be wrong about what I have said about the wing but as that was the first thing I noticed I just thought I should say so and if I am wrong, please correct me! :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Beautiful capture Maxis with excellent exposure, lighting, detail and color. The eye contact and head turn make this image for me. Fine work i!!!!!

Maxis Gamez
09-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Maxis, nice picture, I don't know if you niticed but the bird's right wing is broken, or at least it looks like it's broken, I know sometimes birds of pray put their wing like that when they are relaxed or resting, but this young Caracara doesn't look that relaxed, actually, for the left wing feather's messy look I would say that somebody or something has happened to this poor guy. Still the image is very nice, the compo and the light as well as the BG and colours are very very good! Congratulations!

Ps: I might be wrong about what I have said about the wing but as that was the first thing I noticed I just thought I should say so and if I am wrong, please correct me! :)

Hi Ramon,

You have a valid point but this guy is doing just fine.

Take a look here!

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20577

Thanks for your input!

Ramon M. Casares
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Thankks Maxis for the ansewr, maybe this guy was crashed by a car and was lucky enought not to get a deadly broken wing. I am glad he's doing ok, as said, the shot is great! Congratulaitons!