PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Aster

Ed Vatza
09-20-2008, 09:04 PM
Another of the Autumn Asters. This image was made shortly before sundown along a local creek. The creek is behind the flowers providing a dark green/brown background. I processed the image with the natural background and then also darkened it to make it black. I prefer the black background on this one. But then I guess I would! :D

Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens; Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Softbox; Tripod-mounted with Novoflex focusing rail.

1/6 sec @ f/22; ISO 800; -1/3 EV; Shade WB; -1 FEC

Julie Kenward
09-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I think you chose correctly! That white flower pops on that black BG. Incredible DOF here...I'm really having trouble finding a spot where it's OOF. I like this as a horizontal (I'm assuming that's how the plant was in the field) but I bet you could get away with this as a vertical as well. Very nice, Ed!

Amy DeStefanis
09-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow Ed, this is great! What beautiful flowers - I really like it! I like the background too.

Amy D.

Robert O'Toole
09-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Great job Ed I think one is a big success. From the nice light, the interesting shapes and colors to the black BG.

Congrats!!

If you had an extra 5 minutes you could run a -1 file and blend it over this one to recover some of the whites at the top and to the right, but it looks good to me as is.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
09-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I find this one much more pleasing (if more traditional) to look at than your more recent post, Ed; it is so much cleaner and doesn't cause my eyes to jump all over looking for something to settle on. Very nice comp and I like the dark bg.

Ed Vatza
09-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Julie, Amy, Robert, Anita,

Glad you all like this image as much as I do. I really think the "spray" type of presentation looks... well - neat! :) And the background really sets it off.

Again thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!