PDA

View Full Version : Monarch on Greenthread

Anita Rakestraw
09-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Bathing hedgeapples seem to be not too popular, so back to more traditional subjects! Ha! This was photographed from the car window with the 500mm, as i'd been hoping to find birds or animals but little such luck. Didn't have my macro along.

9-18-08, 4:05 p.m.
1DMkIII, 500mm w/2x ext., Blubb on car window
1/500, f/9.0, fl 1000, ISO 640 (forgot to change it), EV 0

Ed Vatza
09-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Anita,

First off, I think sometimes you have to push the envelope be it bobbing hedgeapples or the macro landscapes that I tried.

Second at 1000mm, was this butterfly in the next county? ;):)

OK. I like the light. Was the butterfly backlit? It almost looks so. And I think the colors look great. Very nice. The veins in the butterfly's wings look soft to me. The flower that the butterfly is perched on looks sharper. And the busy background is distracting to me. My eye is getting pulled to the flower in the LR. That said, overall a nice image Anita.

Anita Rakestraw
09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi, Ed, first of all, thanks so much for replying to my private message a while back. I'm way too tardy in thanking you!!! Much appreciated!

Secondly, agree with you on "pushing the envelope" occasionally!! Thanks for the support there!

Thirdly, no, butterfly wasn't in the next county :p :D but I had my 500 and not my macro or any shorter lens with me, thus the 1000 (cz I didn't bother taking off the extender either and shot from the car wndow. Yeah, was being lazy!) I agree with your overall asessment. Probably would have been sharper using the macro.

Robert O'Toole
09-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Anita,

Considering the unconventional gear you deserve congrats. The pose is nice with the flower just poking out from under the BFly. I like the diagonal pose also.

Overall everything looks good to me except for some noise in the blacks. Its a tough job with all the contrast. To control noise with any DSLR you expose and try to get all the data in the right box, this way you can get away with some outrageous ISO. To control noise it is always better to overexpose and darken then to under and lighten. In this case any more exposure would blow the yellows. So in this case come NR might make the noise less noticeable.

Properly exposed to the right I have gotten ISO2000 1DMKIII files that are almost noise free.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
09-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks, Robert. Darn, on my monitor I can't see the noise, so thanks for the heads up on that. I'm going to have to get another monitor I guess....

Robert O'Toole
09-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks, Robert. Darn, on my monitor I can't see the noise, so thanks for the heads up on that. I'm going to have to get another monitor I guess....

You arent getting away that easy :D:D:D

Not sure what OS or browser you are using but in Internet explorer or firefox just press Ctrl+++ to zoom in (it is much more obvious zoomed in) Its not horrible but the yellow and greens are noise free so the noise in the blacks stands out. Also the there is less detail and sharpness in the noisy areas.

Robert

Anita Rakestraw
09-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks, Robert. Even zoomed in, I couldn't see it. :( I've PM'd you....