PDA

View Full Version : Help buying new monitor

Trey Barron
09-19-2008, 10:46 PM
I am building a new computer and am going to order a monitor as well. I am debating between the 24' Dell ultrasharp and the HP LP2465. Does anyone have any input on these or similar priced monitors. Any help would be much appreciated.

Rich Steel
09-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi Trey

I have an LP2465 which I have been very happy with. The only issue you need to watch out for with it is that it is a very bright monitor. When I went through the initial standard calibration run with my Optix monitor calibrator it came back with a luminance value of over 200 which as I understand is approximately double the recommended level for photo work. The upshot of this is that you would be seeing images much brighter than they actually are which can lead to some very dark prints! To achieve the correct value you need to bring the monitor brightness level right down although apprarently on this type of monitor the contrast should be left at default.

Anyway I happy with the monitor set-up now after a bit of playing round with the calibrator and would recommend the monitor which is crisp and clear as long as you bear in mind the potential brightness issue.

Cheers

Rich