PDA

View Full Version : (Un)common cranes

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Hi all,

I think this image belongs here.. This photographs was taken last year in Sweden where I spend a couple of days in a hide, photographing common cranes. The first day we had wonderful weather, but on the second day clouds came in and it even began to snow. The light was horrible and we couldn't leave the hide as that would scare away the cranes. So....most of the time we just sat and waited (from 4am until 9pm). The only thing I could do was to think out of box and try a different approach. So I put my camera on B&W, dialed in a slow shutterspeed and fired away when the cranes started leaving to their roosting location.
The result was exactly what I had in mind and recently it was even rewarded "Highly Commended" in the GDT European Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2007 competition :D.

Cheers!

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I have seen this before, don't remember where, but I loved it then and love it know.
The landscape serves as a grounding setting for the moving cranes.

Excellent :)

Ganesh H Shankar
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Very creative work! A very lively image. Love the constrast caused by static and blurred birds in flight. Would love to see the full tree on the right. B&W has a major contribution to its unique appeal.

Glenn Ehmke
01-15-2008, 12:19 AM
This has a wonderful 'eery' feel to it with the barren trees. Would look great without the moving cranes, but with them it really draws your attention.

Great work.