PDA

View Full Version : Phyrroloxia-female

Ryan Lepik
09-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Taken at Cave Cree, AZ last February

John Chardine
09-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Really nice Ryan. Pretty sharp and great soft light. Maybe the light could be punched up a little and a tad more sharpening around the eye would help I think. I would crop so that there is more room in the direction of where the bird is looking and less behind its head.

BTW this is a male (I'm not picking on you Ryan, really!!!- note- we have been having a discussion involving this species in Avian Wild and Free!). Male Pyrrhuloxias have the red face and centre breast and the nice yellow bill that this bird shows.

Ryan Lepik
09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
The listing as female was my mistake John as I have it correct in my PC file & you are not picking on me. At that time I wa shooting jpg & there isn't too much one can do with the image before it looks artificial. The 70-300 f4 IS lens was also a touch soft on the 300mm end which does not help. Have since invested in a Canon 70-200 f4 IS L lens which is tack sharp & am shooting raw. Thanks for your comments.

John Chardine
09-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I have that lens Ryan and I agree it is wonderful. And the IS is outstanding too. It works extremely well with the 1.4 converter. I notice a little bit of chromatic aberration with the latter fitted.

James Prudente
09-18-2008, 05:41 PM
The Pyrrhuloxia, Cardinalis sinuatus, is one of my favorite birds of the desert. The Common name Pyrrhūloxia, is derived from the genus name Pyrrhūla, finch genus (from Greek purroulas, red-colored bird, from purros, red, from pūr, fire; see pyre (http://www.answers.com/topic/pyre)) + Loxia, crossbill genus (from Greek loxos, oblique).

He is a handsome fellow. Well done.

Jim

Ryan Lepik
09-19-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks fellows for your kind words & comments. I wish we had more handsome birds in Ontario in winter time as you do in AZ. Always a pleasure to visit there.

Lana Hays
09-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Ryan
I do like the pose on this one. I think that it would have worked even better as a vertical......especially so that you could get all of the tail. Very good exposure and detail.

Maxis Gamez
09-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Oh man.... This image would be so nice in vertical......

James Salywoda
09-21-2008, 03:00 PM
This would work very well as a vertical excellent details and nice pose I wish you had the whole tail in the frame. Thanks For Sharing.