PDA

View Full Version : Farne Island Tips

Rich Steel
01-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Hi

For anyone visiting the Farne Island off the UK, there are two essential items a good hat to protect fthe head from the Arctic Tern attacks and a short lens. This is my friend Steve about to receieve another attack by a screaming tern.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/head3.jpg

Cheers

Rich

Alfred Forns
01-14-2008, 07:20 AM
..... glad they are not any bigger :D Love those birds

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Didn't know these artic terns were attack birds Rich. I f I ever get to your part of the world I will be sure to wear a helmet <smile>, Thanks for sharing this image and wonderful timing !

Rich Steel
01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks Alfred and Judy. The arctic terns are ferocious and start on you as soon as you step off the boat. The path up to the island leads right through their nesting area (which is fenced off). however they sit on the posts and if you even look sideways at them they start screaming and fly up. A good technique is to follow behind a person in front of you, as you can get some nice flight shots of the birds above their 'victim'. However, you are also being attacked while trying to do this which is a bit distracting. I had one bird sat on my hat for about 3 minutes doing a woodpecker impression and those beaks are sharp!!!

If you are ever in the UK in June / July put the Farne Islands on your list as an essential place to visit.

Cheers

Rich

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Wonderful image with rich colors and interesting read.
Thanks, I really enjoyed it.

Rosl Roessner
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
... and here is another one from the Farne Islands (or may be Staple; I'm not really sure...)
Love the "OSPREY" on the hat :D

Rose

Jim Poor
01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Looks like time for a pith helmet.