PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Paper

Julie Kenward
09-18-2008, 08:40 AM
I need some help and, although I know this is outside of the realm of nature photography, I'm betting someone has the information I am looking for.

I am beginning to delve into portrait photography and will be trying to make some money from it this fall to help pay for my desperate need for "big glass." I really want to try to print my own stuff at home with my Epson Inkjet printer. It's not a real expensive machine but it makes beautiful prints of my nature stuff so I'm hoping it will do the same for my portraits.

I've been using Epson's paper so far - their Ultra Premium Glossy and their Premium Matte Lustre - and those are both very nice. Now that I'm getting into portraits more my question is should I add different/better paper to my mix? I'd really like to find something that would 1) enhance black & white photos and really set them off and 2) give my images a more "custom" look - perhaps with a special linen feel or just a high-quality lustre to it.

In other words, I want my customers to buy the print from me because it looks so good and not go rolling down to the local WalMart to get their prints made.

Does anyone have any recommendations for papers I might want to try out? I'd appreciate any advice!

Alfred Forns
09-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Jules for B&W try the Velvet Fine Art Paper There will be a difference in the shadow areas, will have a greater Dmax Can also try the Watercolor paper.

I don't use the Glossy types much and must of my printing is with these two or similar. If use I the glossy types changing to the Photo Black ink is necessary, well now with the 3800 Pro it switches by itself but there is loss of ink. btw my dislike to glossy papers goes back many years, never have liked them.

For serious printing would find a paper you really like and have a custom profile made. You can order sample packages from some suppliers.

Julie Kenward
09-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Wonderful, Al! Thanks so much. I've been looking at different papers but really needed a starting point and this is perfect. Thank you!