PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly

Susan Griffith
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Well I was out wandering a small wetland area taking a break from work today and all that was in my kit was my 500mm so this is a crop from the original. So this answers my questions, a 500mm lens can be used for macro shots :p There is no doubt this is a fantastic lense and soo much fun to work with. I hope you enjoy, CC is always very welcome.

Canon 5D
ISO 200
f/8.0
1/320
Canon EF 500mm f4

Gus Cobos
09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi Susan,
I like your composition... I took the liberty in making a few modifications to your image; I hope you don't mind...:) I extended canvas to the left of the frame, in order to avoid the perch from coming out of the intersecting frame; burned in the hot spots in your diagonal perch to tone the harsh sunlight, cloned out the busy diagonal reeds, that were in competition with your main subject. sprinkled selective sharpening on the eye and parts of the body, kicked up the contrast a wee bit, and gave you a little bit of saturation...see if you like...:cool:

Julie Kenward
09-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Great repost, Gus! That was exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind the other strands of grass in the BG if they didn't intersect the body like they did but this is much better.

Susan, you CAN take excellent macros with the long glass lenses...you just have to be able to get far enough away from your subject to get them in focus. Nice try here!

Susan Griffith
09-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks Gus, I will try to copy the changes you made next time I sit down at the computer at home. This is a huge help, thank you. -Susan

Fabs Forns
09-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Nicely done, Susan, I like the repost, that leaf in the BG was very distracting.

Robert O'Toole
09-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Nice image Susan. I am a sucker for Dfly images, I like the front view and the comp.

the repost is a step in the right direction although I think Gus rushed it a little as you can see some artifacts, but it looks better with some simple changes.

Robert

Mike Moats
09-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Hey Susan, excellent sharpness, and Gus really cleaned it up.