PDA

View Full Version : VGA or HDMI ?

Mike Tracy
09-16-2008, 07:30 PM
I just received a new HP 24" monitor as a gift. It accepts both a vga or hdmi cable. When I searched on the net most of the discussions focused on TV's and not computer monitors. Which is the one I should be using for photo editing or do I plug both in ? My graphics card supports the hdmi btw. Thanks for any help, I am kinda confused.

c.w. moynihan
09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
You want a digital connection for the best quality. VGA is analog so I would use the HDMI connection if I were you. I was not aware that they are now making monitors with hdmi connections. The usual digital cconnection was/is DVI.

Robert O'Toole
09-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi Mike,

I would recommended to use the newest standard which is HDMI. Also I would recommend buying the HDMI cable online and NOT at the corner electronics store to avoid getting ripped. They should not cost $50.

Most newer computers offer a HDMI port since HDMI carries the same signal as DVI but adds sound.

Robert

allanrube
09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I just switched from an analog cable to a digital one - quite a difference.

Maxis Gamez
09-18-2008, 04:26 PM
HDMI any day!!

Mike Tracy
09-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was inclined to think it would be the HDMI but wanted to hear it from someone other then myself.

Ed Okie
10-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Not even close, HDMI vs VGA, component, coax, etc - HDMI is far superior in image quality, plus simplicity of hookup. Mega-dollar cables... basically nonsense. Little reason to spend beyond $10-$30. Amazon even has a special on HDMI's, 2 meters, supplied by a very reputable company in Ohio called Cables to Go. $10 ea! from Amazon. Work flawlessly.
http://www.cablestogo.com/categories.asp?cat_id=3600