PDA

View Full Version : Spirit, Wolf, Captive

Grady Weed
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 9/16/2008 13:22:33, Shutter Speed 1/40Sec. Hand held, Av(Aperture Value) F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -2/3, ISO 640, Lens: EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length 300.0 mm.

Just to let all know. I do not mind the right eye in the darkness. It lends itself to the wolf mystique. She loves to hide herself in plain view as much as possible. The sun was to my left and somewhat covered by the trees nearby. It did filter some into the pen, resulting in patchy bright spots. Since they are contained to a specific area, you get what you get with them. I would never get this opportunity anywhere else in the wild, to be so close. So I am willing to accept some drawbacks.

All of the wolves are shedding the summer coat and are just about finished growing the winter coat up here. With heavy frost and some temps in the 50's several nights, our leaves are turning and color is popping out all over. Spirit here was very happy to let me in the pen with her. The challenge is to get her to go about her business so I can photograph her. She tends to paw, lick and want to play while you are in with her. Her partner, Denali, has bad joints now, his getting old. He mostly lays down in his hut and sleeps. They are special to me.

Mariah, the fierce female black one, took 3 dog treats from my hand that day. She came right up to the fence to see me this time. Yes!

Alfred Forns
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
It is a beautiful portrait Grady !!!

The patchy bright spots are taken care by the coat Lighting looks good. Understand what you are saying about the eye but still would rather see it better. The fur reproduction is excellent, can just about feel it. Big Congrats on this one Must be special spending time with them !!!

Grace Scalzo
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Beautiful image, Grady. Your passion for these beautiful wolves comes through in your images.

Steve Canuel
09-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi Grady,
I like the softness of this portrait but also how you've maintained the texture of that growing winter coat. I understand your take on the shadowed eye but would also prefer to see just a hint more of it, as the eyes of a wolf have such a powerful visual impact.
Steve

Jonathan Michael Ashton
09-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Beautiful shot, I hope to get some images of captive wolves this year
Jon