PDA

View Full Version : Chestnut-mandibled toucan

Greg Basco
09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi, I thought I would share this image of a chestnut-mandibled toucan eating Cecropia fruits. He was up in the canopy, and I was lucky enough to be on a balcony that afforded an eye-level view. It's not as clean a shot as some might like, but in the end I actually liked the cluster of fruits because it gives a behavioral/habitat clue. The only thing I don't like is the OOF diagonal branch on the left side but I could do nothing about it because I wanted to keep the bird's beak parallel to me. And of course, the bird didn't stick around too long! This was the only shot I got with the open beak and fruit chunk in mid-air.

I appreciate any comments/suggestions!

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/forums/chestnut1.jpg

Tech: Canon 20D, Canon 300 mm f2.8 L IS, 2x, tripod, f6.3, 1/250, ISO 100, flash at -2

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Milo Burcham
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Great detail and action, Greg. Much closer than I have been to one, but then, you have the home field advantage! These birds are so beautiful it is uncanny.

Joe Senzatimore
09-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Love the comp. and color. With that white line wasn't in the BG.

Ramon M. Casares
09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
You preety much said everything Greg, the OOF branch is not ideal, and although I don't LOVE the cluster of fruits, they do show give behavioral/habitat clue, you might try toning down just a bit the yellows, but other than that.. I LOVE this shot! Just today I was visitng you website gallery and I am just amazed with your work! Congratulations Greg!

Glenn Bartley
09-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Very neat portrait with a nice dynamic pose. I like it!

Doug Brown
09-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Good self-critique Greg! Looks vaguely reminiscent of another toucan photo I seem to remember. :D

Greg Basco
09-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi, and thanks very much for the comments. I wish I would have had a pole pruner with me to take out that branch, but I probably would have scared him away. Doug, I wish I could post that photo you're referring to in this forum, but I guess it will have to go to the captive bird forum. If I lied, you would probably try to blackmail me!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Greg,
That is a spectacularly beautiful bird...
Regards,
Nicki

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-16-2008, 10:01 PM
The branch in the BG does not bother me at all, instead, it looks dynamic. Sharpness and colors are right on. Beautiful job.