PDA

View Full Version : Female Hummingbird

Lisa Williams
09-14-2008, 09:35 PM
This female hummingbird was waiting her turn at my feeder this afternoon.

Canon 1D Mark III, 100-400 IS Lens, tripod mounted
1/4000 exposure time
Aperture Priority
0 EV
F 5.6
ISO 800
400mm

C&C welcome and appreciated.
Lisa

Gus Cobos
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Very nice capture Lisa,
I like the sharp details and color rendition on your bird. You have a good head angle, with good eye contact. I also like the catch light in the eye. The soft multi colored green background compliments your subject well...congrats...good show...looking forward to your next capture...:cool:

Lance Peters
09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Lisa - well done - I like this a lot :) :)

WIlliam Maroldo
09-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi Lisa, I wondered what you've been up to. I think the bird and wing positions, sharpness, nicely blurred background, and catchlight are wonderful. I would place the bird further to the right, it is off center but not quite enough. What I noticed was a halo
primarily around the back, but other area as well. (sound familiar?) I don't think it's a sharpening halo. I've noticed that if I use shadow/highlight sometimes I get that effect, and curves is probably better. I don't know. it could be an JPEG conversion artifact. In any case it is minor, and the photograph is quite good. regards~Bill

Oscar Zangroniz
09-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Excellent capture Lisa. You have a very detailed subject with an incredible background and head angle. The position in the frame does not bother me at all.
Congrats,

Gus Hallgren
09-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi Lisa:

Well done, beautiful capture. I love it. Looking forward to more . . .

Uncle Gus :D

Alfred Forns
09-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi Lisa Nice hummer !!!

Agree with suggestions and would also move the little guy down just a tad. Would like seeing a little more room up top than at the bottom. Excellent

Nicki Gwynn Jones
09-15-2008, 08:26 AM
Well done Lisa!
Regards,
Nicki

Lisa Williams
09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks all for the comments and the suggestions. So will move him a little lower in frame (or leave more room above) and place him more to the right.
Question - how do I use curves in CS2. Gus explained how to use them in CS3, but I don't have the ability to upgrade to it at this time.

Harold Davis
09-15-2008, 07:10 PM
if i'm not mistaking lisa, curves should be the same in both versions. congrats on this image!! it is very sharp and looks fantastic!! agree with the above suggestions.